Photo

Usaf Reserve Flight/commissioning Physical....what To Expect?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Priller

Priller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Got told by my recruiter that I have a flight/commissioning physical for a USAF Reserve flight nurse job setup in the next 2 weeks at a local base (NOT MEPS :) ) Curious to know what all to expect in terms of time, tests ran, level of medical history scrutiny, etc.

I have a currrent Civilian FAA Student pilot/ medical certificate (class III?) already. If I bring a copy of this do you think would it help to maybe expedite things or maybe bring less scrutiny on a few medical issues that I will disclose?

Thanks!

#2 Loydster

Loydster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

It's been a while...... but plan for all day, it is the miltary. It usually starts with a breath analyzer and urine (drug) test. It wil be a complete physical after that. It is pretty thourough since it is a flight physical. 12 lead ekg, hearing test, blood work, OBGYN check if female. Over 40 year old male, rectal. Oh did I mention more paperwork? Vision tests with color blind also. If you are in good shape nothing to worry about just a long day. Being an officer they will at least be nicer to you. Note you can pass your physical for most miltary jobs with some "issues" but not when it comes to flying, it is stringent. For example hearing loss, no go. Seizures no go. A bad heart mummer no go. Color blind no go. But if you already hold a class III you should be good to go. And bring your shot record!!!!!! Otherwise you get all of them all over.

#3 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

Breathalyzer? I've never had to do that. You didn't bring in the 40 of Coors with you during the physical, did you? I always leave mine in my car, so it's there when I go home B)

Be glad you're going to do a flight physical and not going to MEPS. MEPS is like a cattle call- very cold and impersonal (or like a prostate exam). The flight physical is a process, but I've had some done in 2 hours and some that have taken all day. They should let you know before the exam what you'll need to bring or do before (ie: shot records, fast 12 hours before, etc.).

Bring a good book and dress comfortably.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#4 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

Got told by my recruiter that I have a flight/commissioning physical for a USAF Reserve flight nurse job setup in the next 2 weeks at a local base (NOT MEPS :) ) Curious to know what all to expect in terms of time, tests ran, level of medical history scrutiny, etc.

I have a currrent Civilian FAA Student pilot/ medical certificate (class III?) already. If I bring a copy of this do you think would it help to maybe expedite things or maybe bring less scrutiny on a few medical issues that I will disclose?

Thanks!

Priller,

Your physical will mimic the class III. Add in a dental exam.

BTW, your unit is shaping up nicely!

#5 Priller

Priller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Got a good book ready. I definitely remember MEPS and it was just like a cattle call. I have absolutely no desire to repeat that again. Good thing is that the Physical will be at my old medical unit when I was enlisted.

#6 Priller

Priller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:23 AM

Well the physical is over with. Not too bad at all. Was in and out in 3.5 hrs. Didn't even have time to sit and read my book. Looks like I MAY need a waiver. Will have to wait a bit and see. Keeping fingers crossed.

#7 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

Well the physical is over with. Not too bad at all. Was in and out in 3.5 hrs. Didn't even have time to sit and read my book. Looks like I MAY need a waiver. Will have to wait a bit and see. Keeping fingers crossed.

What would you need a waiver for? You can send an e-mail if you want.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#8 Priller

Priller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:51 AM

What would you need a waiver for? You can send an e-mail if you want.

PM sent.