• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sine Mora

Sine Mora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

First of all, credit for this photo goes to a flight medic I work with, Bobby Daniels.

We put this ship in service about a month ago. I still haven't had the chance to work in it, but by all accounts, it's just awesome.

Posted Image

Anyway, what do you think about the big blue beauty?
Did you know FlightWeb has a photo page? You can see our member's photos (up to 600 at last count) here: FlightWeb's Flickr Group Page

The compassion in your care is very often more important than the letters behind your name.

Don't confuse compassion with being a pushover. Although difficult at times, you can be kind and compassionate while also being firm and straight forward.

#2 lostmedic

lostmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

I am one of the ground pounders that puts patients in it. Let me just say it is very nice, and quiet.
Morgan

#3 notonmywatch

notonmywatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

Nice ship. Looks like it is big enough to afford you guys some space to work.

Stay safe
Sleep is the primary symptom of caffeine deprivation.

#4 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:40 PM

Nice paint scheme, I glad to see you guys didn't "over-do-it" with graphics and color.

Just curious, Why did your program choose this aircraft? (have nothing against MD, haven't been around one)

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#5 Sine Mora

Sine Mora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:20 AM

I don't guess I know officially why we chose this one over others... But if I were guessing, I'd say a big factor was the cost of operating? Not sure. Also (I'm speaking a foreign language here, so forgive me if my terminology is rough) I understand it to be one of only a few aircraft that can perform a category A takeoff at full gross weight on one engine? Not sure if/when that would be used but it sure sounds good to me? Only other thing I know about is the lack of tail rotor frees up quite a bit of energy to be used during liftoff/flight/touchdown. The NOTAR system is pretty impressive.
Did you know FlightWeb has a photo page? You can see our member's photos (up to 600 at last count) here: FlightWeb's Flickr Group Page

The compassion in your care is very often more important than the letters behind your name.

Don't confuse compassion with being a pushover. Although difficult at times, you can be kind and compassionate while also being firm and straight forward.

#6 safltrn

safltrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:31 AM

First of all, credit for this photo goes to a flight medic I work with, Bobby Daniels.

We put this ship in service about a month ago. I still haven't had the chance to work in it, but by all accounts, it's just awesome.

Posted Image
Anyway, what do you think about the big blue beauty?

Good Luck to you guys!! There's a reason our program just sold both of our MD 902's. One only needs to read in "Vertical" (magazine) and speak to people in the know to find out why no one is buying these aircraft. Ours were more out of service than they were in.
I hope your program has better luck with your ship.
Fly safe.
Andrew Veitch CFRN

#7 Sine Mora

Sine Mora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:32 AM

I hope so too!!! IF I read things right, MD is on track to sell more 902Explorers this year than ever before. I've heard/read about past issues with service/parts/etc. But have also heard that these issues have been resolved.

So far so good, (at least as far as a PRN flight medic can tell..) Our crews and mechanic seem awfully pleased. The folks at MD have been meticulous at meeting each and every spec.

#8 Tym2FLY

Tym2FLY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:58 PM

Thats a nice ship you have there! As others have said before, the paint job on it is nice as well. Hope you have many safe flights in her!

#9 buffettrn

buffettrn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:08 AM

Best of luck with your new aircraft. We were have been in a 902 for several years. We took delivery of our new one at last years AAMS conference (the big red "blood clot"). We love them, despite what one person has posted we have not any problems. Lots of room (we used to be in BO's), pilots and the obese patients are happy with the power. Again best of luck.

Jeff Fein
Sky FlightCare
Jeff Fein
"We are right, they are wrong, END OF STORY"

#10 NighthawkPatrick

NighthawkPatrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

...what do you think about the big blue beauty?

Sine,

It looks like a really nice paint job. Hopefully you'll have many safe and productive flights in her.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you guys used to fly a BO? And isn't that a Bell 407 reflected in your flight helmet? If you're using that 902 to replace either of those, I'd certainly call it an improvement in available operating space. You must be feeling REALLY roomy now! :D

Patrick, Life*Com Communications. The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and in no way represent Life*Com, Air Methods Corporation or any related entity.

#11 Sine Mora

Sine Mora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:19 AM

Sine,

It looks like a really nice paint job. Hopefully you'll have many safe and productive flights in her.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you guys used to fly a BO? And isn't that a Bell 407 reflected in your flight helmet? If you're using that 902 to replace either of those, I'd certainly call it an improvement in available operating space. You must be feeling REALLY roomy now! :D

You're right! It replaces our tried and true BO105, in Springfield. Still have the 407 in Branson. I STILL haven't flown in the new ship but I'm sure I'll get my chance soon. I work more in Branson than in Springfield.

#12 NighthawkPatrick

NighthawkPatrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:35 AM

You're right! It replaces our tried and true BO105, in Springfield. Still have the 407 in Branson. I STILL haven't flown in the new ship but I'm sure I'll get my chance soon. I work more in Branson than in Springfield.

Didn't you folks at one point have an AStar in Branson? If so, how would you compare it with the 407?

Just curious...

Patrick, Life*Com Communications. The opinions expressed here are solely my own, and in no way represent Life*Com, Air Methods Corporation or any related entity.

#13 Sine Mora

Sine Mora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Didn't you folks at one point have an AStar in Branson? If so, how would you compare it with the 407?

Just curious...

We did have an A-Star for a while when we first opened that base. My only real big gripe with that ship was it's weight limitations, but keep in mind it was a very early model A-star, no B1/B2 etc.

I do like the 407. Man that thing is FAST. The door on the PT side is a pain the butt but not a real big deal.

Loading PTs in both the AS350 and the 407 can very easily be a less-than-pleasant experience. I'm told by folks with experience that if you add a PT Loading System (PLS) this is pretty well taken care of.

Biggest thing I miss in the AStar is visibility. I can't see near as much outside in the 407. I also miss our sliding door on the A-star. It was nice having the option of sticking my head out to see the tail.

Biggest thing I like about the 407 is the crew seats. And it sure looks a whole lot "cooler"!

A few pics of older and newer a/c:

Branson's original AS350:
Posted Image

Branson's current 407:
Posted Image

Air Care One's original BO105:
Posted Image

And the newest member of the family:
Posted Image
(this image by Timothy Pruitt)

#14 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:17 PM

Looks nice. My father would say "use it in good health!".

Makes me envious. One of these days I'm going to get into RW...

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.