17 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:24 AM

Hi Folks. Our program (hospital based peds/neo) has recently contracted with an airmed supplier to have a dedicated helicopter specifically for our team. While we are excited to have this opportunity we have an enormous amount of planning and training to get through before we as we say "get off the ground". One of our biggest issues is going to be securing an isolette in the aircraft. Although the EC 145 would have solved this problem the price factor put it out of reach at this time so the decision was made to go with the EC 135. The current setup we have, which actually belongs to the private flight program who provides air service to us, is not acceptable for long term. We need to know specifically (manufacturer and model number) what fold-up cot your service is using to secure an Airborne H-20 in your aircraft. We currently have his particular isolette in 3 different configurations: O2/Air tanks underneath, O2/Air tanks in tandem and O2/Air tanks in tandem but on the red flight sled. We have all ready determined that we need to use the tanks in tandem version. Now we need to know what cot will work. Currently the RW iso is secured by a plate to a secondary cot (wheeled but no legs) that has to be put on a coffin carrier to move. We all find this more than a little disturbing plus it's one more piece of equipment that needs secured. We need this info ASAP because we don't want to configure it after we have the helicopter in service. Any and all help will be most appreciated.

#2 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:11 AM

We are also likely to be switching airframes from a BH430 to an EC135. Similar need for info as we currently use a lifeport cargorack sled as a base for the airborne isolette, 2x60cuft (SCBA size) tankx, Bronchotron, Propaq, CV-2A+ vent, Bronchotron high frequency vent, 2x Medfusion syringe pumps, Minimed 3-channel pump, AeroNOx Nitric Oxygeb analyzer/controller, Oxygen analyser, Tina transcutaneous CO2 monitor and 2 "d" tanks of Nitric Oxide.

Anyone on the list use HF and NO on a neonatal sled that fits the EC-135? PM and pics would be great - looking for configuration ideas.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#3 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:12 AM

We are also likely to be switching airframes from a BH430 to an EC135. Similar need for info as we currently use a lifeport cargorack sled as a base for the airborne isolette, 2x60cuft (SCBA size) tankx, Bronchotron, Propaq, CV-2A+ vent, Bronchotron high frequency vent, 2x Medfusion syringe pumps, Minimed 3-channel pump, AeroNOx Nitric Oxygeb analyzer/controller, Oxygen analyser, Tina transcutaneous CO2 monitor and 2 "d" tanks of Nitric Oxide.

Anyone on the list use HF and NO on a neonatal sled that fits the EC-135? PM and pics would be great - looking for configuration ideas.

Sorry, dyslexic fingers.

AeroNOx Nitric Oxygeb analyzer/controller

should read AeroNOx Nitric Oxide analyzer/controller
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#4 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:20 PM

Sorry, dyslexic fingers. should read AeroNOx Nitric Oxide analyzer/controller

Contact Airborne Isolette company. They are making a new isolette "Aviator" that will fit in the EC-135. You can still use the old transport isolette if you do not mind using a sled.

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:51 AM

Unfortunately the budget for 2008 is done and while it includes two new isolettes the orders have been put in so even if "the Aviator" goes into production it's too late. Am I to assume from the lack of responses that to put an Airborne on a fold-up stretcher is completely impossible? If so I'm pretty disappointed. Does anybody use it on the air/oxy cart in the 135?

#6 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:23 PM

Unfortunately the budget for 2008 is done and while it includes two new isolettes the orders have been put in so even if "the Aviator" goes into production it's too late. Am I to assume from the lack of responses that to put an Airborne on a fold-up stretcher is completely impossible? If so I'm pretty disappointed. Does anybody use it on the air/oxy cart in the 135?

Scott,

Contact AirEvac Services in Phoenix......They are flying in the 135, and do a ton of NEO....

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#7 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

You can put the Airborne on a sled and strap it down. It just will not have the wheel undercarriage and you will be relying on hospitals to bring you a stretcher. You can also check with Airborne about a lower profile box for your existing isolette, this may help it get through the tunnel. Also remember, depending on who does your air medical interior the tunnel will have different clearences so your options may be limited if they drop the avionic shelf too low.

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

That's what we are trying to get away from Rob for a whole lot of reasons the biggest of which is that it isn't safe to put it on a stretcher not designed for that purpose (ask me what happened when we last did that). Unfortunately most ERs just don't have a spare cot to lend us and it is a logistical nightmare when trying to resus a baby in a tiny room but we can't get our equipment near the kid. I contacted our rep from International Biomed and there is indeed a new isolette being designed specifically for the EC 135 but it won't go into production until the end of 2008. He is going to e-mail the specs to me and he believes we should be able to use a regular wheeled stretcher with it. He actually thinks there are programs using regular stretchers but it depends on the type of flooring and the lock-down mechanism in use. In the meantime we will continue to use the modified isolette on the coffin carrier even if it is a grim piece of equipment unless anybody else can enlighten me.

#9 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:52 AM

That's what we are trying to get away from Rob for a whole lot of reasons the biggest of which is that it isn't safe to put it on a stretcher not designed for that purpose (ask me what happened when we last did that). Unfortunately most ERs just don't have a spare cot to lend us and it is a logistical nightmare when trying to resus a baby in a tiny room but we can't get our equipment near the kid. I contacted our rep from International Biomed and there is indeed a new isolette being designed specifically for the EC 135 but it won't go into production until the end of 2008. He is going to e-mail the specs to me and he believes we should be able to use a regular wheeled stretcher with it. He actually thinks there are programs using regular stretchers but it depends on the type of flooring and the lock-down mechanism in use. In the meantime we will continue to use the modified isolette on the coffin carrier even if it is a grim piece of equipment unless anybody else can enlighten me.

Get clarification from International Biomed, because we have orders ours and expect 90-120 day turn around time. The one that they are saying will be available at the end of the year is the same Aviator but with a built in pulse ox so you will have (2) pulse ox's just in case you do twins. I told them that I could not wait for them and Nellcor to figure that one out for a built in pulse ox. E-mail me offline with an e-mail address and I can get you some pictures on the first prototype Aviator used by a program in the NW and pictures I took at AMTC of a mock up in Bayflight's EC.

Rob

#10 snausage

snausage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hi Folks. Our program (hospital based peds/neo) has recently contracted with an airmed supplier to have a dedicated helicopter specifically for our team. While we are excited to have this opportunity we have an enormous amount of planning and training to get through before we as we say "get off the ground". One of our biggest issues is going to be securing an isolette in the aircraft. Although the EC 145 would have solved this problem the price factor put it out of reach at this time so the decision was made to go with the EC 135. The current setup we have, which actually belongs to the private flight program who provides air service to us, is not acceptable for long term. We need to know specifically (manufacturer and model number) what fold-up cot your service is using to secure an Airborne H-20 in your aircraft. We currently have his particular isolette in 3 different configurations: O2/Air tanks underneath, O2/Air tanks in tandem and O2/Air tanks in tandem but on the red flight sled. We have all ready determined that we need to use the tanks in tandem version. Now we need to know what cot will work. Currently the RW iso is secured by a plate to a secondary cot (wheeled but no legs) that has to be put on a coffin carrier to move. We all find this more than a little disturbing plus it's one more piece of equipment that needs secured. We need this info ASAP because we don't want to configure it after we have the helicopter in service. Any and all help will be most appreciated.

FlyingScot. I am wondering as to your involvement in configuration of the aircraft. Is there a company who will be building the aircraft or is it your responsibility? Possibly your contracting company would have some insight or possibly administration. Additionally there has been no public news of helicopter aquisition for peds/neo teams recently, are you sure that it is a done deal?

#11 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

No name, since you have just joined today and posted what I feel is a rather nasty first post I don't feel as if I'm obligated to answer your questions. If you have something HELPFUL to add to the discussion than bring it on. Not only that but just because YOU haven't heard anything does not mean there aren't things happening in the world of critical care transport outside of your circle.

#12 snausage

snausage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

No name, since you have just joined today and posted what I feel is a rather nasty first post I don't feel as if I'm obligated to answer your questions. If you have something HELPFUL to add to the discussion than bring it on. Not only that but just because YOU haven't heard anything does not mean there aren't things happening in the world of critical care transport outside of your circle.

My intent was not to upset you, I am however interested because this is a huge investment for a hospital based program. I am wondering as to how they are aquiring the aircraft? Are you going to be acting as the safety officers or will they be providing additional medical staff? Also who will be doing the flight following? Do you already have something in place or will the hospital be adding a communication area? I do have experience in the area so please don't confuse becoming a new member with inexperience. Again I apologize. I am actually interested in the communications and flight following and how the education and training will be provided for the staff. thnx

#13 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:48 AM

No Name...apology accepted. I was a bit afraid that this might be a public airing of an internal squabble. As far as your questions. We are waiting for the CEO to do the final sign-off (pretty much a done deal as far as I know) with a supplier that provides an aircraft, pilots and mechanics. We will provide the medical crew and act as our own safety officers. We have our own communication center that coordinates not only us but also all incoming EMS, private ambulances and direct admissions. The flight aspect will be added to their duties. Yes the expenditure is huge but we are unable to meet the needs of our region because of the ground distance to many of them which may put us out of service to other hospitals for 6 hours or more. The flight service we use does a commendable job but more often than not has a 45 minute eta to our pad to pick us up which does not save much time. In addition it puts a HEMS AC out of service sometimes for extended periods of time which I can imagine is frustrating for them. We do about 1700 trips a year and defer nearly 3000. Our service philosophy is different from a HEMS philosophy. In many cases we will be flying for distance rather than acuity. I am not personally responsible for the design of the aircraft. I am merely a worker bee with a very strong interest in equipment. Our team has also been told, in the past, that it is impossible to put a cot-mounted isolette in an EC 135 so it made sense to come to the people who do it here on Flightweb. As it turns out this is a problem many crews have encountered so it seems smart to get as much info as possible to present to the AC refitting company which makes their job easier. Especially since there are only 2 (that I know of) cots that will do the job. In addition this particular company has only done sled-mounted isolettes which we really don't want to do. So not only will this be new to us it will be new to them as well. As far as administration...I'm not entirely sure they even know what we do let alone how we do it or what our needs are. As far as publicity. Realistically it is going to take at least 8-10 months to get the AC configured, finish the training and get all the proper paperwork and licensing completed so it would be premature to publicize this. You can bet if everything works out there will be a lot of air time as the hospital plans on using it as a ginormous marketing tool as it will be the first dedicated peds/neo aircraft in this state. Of course things can always fall through. BTW...think of a better username "noname" sounds suspicious. ;)

#14 eseaton

eseaton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:12 PM

Will anyone who previously posted to this thread, contact me at: esea2000@yahoo.com with any information, pictures, ideas, comments, etc about the Eurocopter 135 and/or the InoMax DS?

Our flight team will be changing crafts and we are being asked to try the InoMax DS and I am concerned with size limitations with this combination. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Eric Seaton, RRT-NPS
University of Tennessee Medical Center
Knoxville, TN 37920
NICU
865-305-9834
esea2000@yahoo.com

#15 NighthawkPatrick

NighthawkPatrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Will anyone who previously posted to this thread, contact me at: esea2000@yahoo.com with any information, pictures, ideas, comments, etc about the Eurocopter 135 and/or the InoMax DS?

Our flight team will be changing crafts and we are being asked to try the InoMax DS and I am concerned with size limitations with this combination. I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks

Eric Seaton, RRT-NPS
University of Tennessee Medical Center
Knoxville, TN 37920
NICU
865-305-9834
esea2000@yahoo.com

Eric,

I'm coming into this late, but I would suggest you try contacting either Life*Net New York in Albany, NY, or the JeffSTAT Flight program in Philadelphia, PA. I'm not sure what specific sleds / cots / isolettes these programs are using, but I know they are doing neonate flights with EC-135 aircraft. Maybe they can give you a nod in the right direction. Hope this helps!

Patrick :)

#16 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

We are about 90% on having the Aviator ready for our new EC-135. We have already created a system for securing it in our ground units on a Power Pro Stretcher and our vendor has supplied us with how to secure it to a stretcher that is our primary stretcher in the EC. I will get pictures once we have in service ready. We are waiting on some parts for the isolette then we will be ready to go. Contact offline, I will be glad to discuss.

Rob

#17 JLP

JLP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

How many hospitals do you serve? I remember seeing a post a while ago, where someone found it was simpler just to provide a stretcher to each of hospitals they saw most often in a similar situation, rather than change their aircraft or incubator. However, they had a small number of hospitals in their coverage area if I remember right. We fly s-76's, so we take our stretcher with us, but not everyone has this luxury!

#18 jmalia1

jmalia1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 01:07 AM

Does anyone know the approximate cost of the Airborne Aviator Isolette?