10 replies to this topic

#1 medicman1

medicman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:49 AM

HEY GUYS

JUST CURIOUS FOR THOSE OUT THERE TRANSPORTING VIA FIXED WING, HOW DO YOU LIKE IT? SOME COMPANIES HAVE A TWO WEEK ON TWO WEEK OFF SCHEDULE, IS THAT A LIKED SCHEDULE?

#2 heading360

heading360

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 09:50 PM

I've done the 2 week on and 2 off and its not to bad . I have also done the 20/10 and 7/7 ....
The 7 and 7 I live in base so that has been the best by far. If you are busy the 2 weeks goes by fast . It takes some getting used to if you have family and are away for that time. The 2 weeks off sure is nice.

#3 RNMedic270

RNMedic270

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

I've done the 2 week on and 2 off and its not to bad . I have also done the 20/10 and 7/7 ....
The 7 and 7 I live in base so that has been the best by far. If you are busy the 2 weeks goes by fast . It takes some getting used to if you have family and are away for that time. The 2 weeks off sure is nice.

Can someone contact me off line with companies with 2 week on and 2 week off schedule or 20/10

Thanks
RNMedic270

#4 medicman1

medicman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I have figured out that you need to research in depth any fixed wing organization that your thinking to going to work for. Look at everything and talk to present and past employees. Also you might want to ask about longevity with the company and talk to the medical director. There are a few fixed wing companies out there right now advertising for people to come work for them. The money sounds promising and seeing "the world" is fun but you have to watch your six because you might not be there long.

#5 doz2240

doz2240

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:38 AM

Ive worked both rotor and fixwing... I currently work fix wing and work the schedule of 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. The money is good and I love having 2 weeks off every month. The flight service I work for payes a daily rate plus flight pay. So if you fly a lot you can make tremendous money. If you have a family, ie; wife, kids, they need to be on board and have the ability to survive without you for two weeks at a time. I feel fix wing gives you more critical patients with longer transport times and can be much more challenging clinically.

Hope this helps..
E. Bauer, CCEMTP, FP-C

#6 medicman1

medicman1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:29 PM

I worked the same schedule that you did doz2240. Company was very sketchy and very poor business practices. You had to watch your back every time you turned around with any of the administrators. The Director of operations was the worst and did not care about safety in the air medical world. He would get in the flight deck and would fire off the engines without doing any type of pre flight. definately not a professional pilot at all. hope you dont fly for this company doz2240 just a matter of time before they have an incident.

#7 doz2240

doz2240

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

No, I don't fly for that company.. I fly for AeroCare MTI. We have 4 bases in AZ. Its a very good company and safety is truely # 1. They just don't say it. We have great, experienced pilots and great management.
E. Bauer, CCEMTP, FP-C

#8 doz2240

doz2240

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

You can call if you would like. I can give the info you need. 505-406-6343..
E. Bauer, CCEMTP, FP-C

#9 Michael Collins

Michael Collins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 10:30 PM

Please ignore ...

#10 FlyingMedic

FlyingMedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:58 AM

Personally, I enjoy flying for a fixed wing company, and I work a 14 on 14 off schedule. I will tell you the biggest problem with this schedule is from my family, who would prefer I'm home more. Thankfully there are times when I am close to home and have the opportunity to be at home even though I'm "on". My advice is if family is a concern to be sure that you discuss in depth the kinds of challenges that kind of schedule may present.

The other problem I'm running into is that I don't have time to take classes because of my schedule. I'd like to become and EMS I/C but will be unable to do so unless I take a rotation off (which is hard on the pocket book to loose an entire month's income!)

My favorite part of this kind of rotation is my co-workers. They are my family away from home, and while we may not always get along, my partners and pilots are all fantastic.
Having 2 solid weeks off is nice too... but I work other jobs during this time ;)

Hope this helps. As for companies that are hiring, I'm afraid I can't help you there. My company has, unfortunately, had to let some folks go recently.
--
FlyingMedic, CCEMT-P

#11 okmomedic

okmomedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

I am curious about the money that can be made with the 14/14 schedule. If I am going to work that kind of schedule I would really like to be off for the two weeks and not trying to pick up shifts with a ground service. Any ideas?