• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Anyone know which AE units are using the Sim-Man or METI (or similar manikin) for training? My unit is considering buying one, and Iím looking for any advice or opinions before we formally ask for one. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Hayduke

Hayduke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

The Joint En Route Care Course at FT Rucker has a couple and they are outfitted for the Blackhawks. You might want to try them. I can get you contact information offline. It might be worth dealing with vendors already in the military system.

#3 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:21 PM

Anyone know which AE units are using the Sim-Man or METI (or similar manikin) for training? My unit is considering buying one, and Iím looking for any advice or opinions before we formally ask for one. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

The 315 AES in Charleston has one, but (last I checked) they aren't approved for use in an aircraft. This pretty much limits them to use on the ground (the problem is electrical, so they can be used on an AC as a REALLY expensive maniquen). I can e-mail you the number for the 315 AES is you want.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#4 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

The 315 AES in Charleston has one, but (last I checked) they aren't approved for use in an aircraft. This pretty much limits them to use on the ground (the problem is electrical, so they can be used on an AC as a REALLY expensive maniquen). I can e-mail you the number for the 315 AES is you want.

Sick,

You are correct, they are not approved for flight yet. I've heard AMC is looking into it though.

The expense part of the issue is what I'm trying to justify. They would undoubtedly enhance our med/nursing training, but if we can't use the full package inflight, I don't know if I will get anyone to buy-off on it. That's why I was asking for input...I need to find out how other units are using them before I ask our money-guy to hand over half his annual training budget.

Thanks for all the replies.

#5 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Sick,

You are correct, they are not approved for flight yet. I've heard AMC is looking into it though.

The expense part of the issue is what I'm trying to justify. They would undoubtedly enhance our med/nursing training, but if we can't use the full package inflight, I don't know if I will get anyone to buy-off on it. That's why I was asking for input...I need to find out how other units are using them before I ask our money-guy to hand over half his annual training budget.

Thanks for all the replies.

The top end manniquens are probably beyond the needs of an AE squadron. The only things you really need in a manniquen are the ability to intubate. The rest can be done with other (less costly) alternatives. If you were to get an intubating manniquen, an IV arm, and an EKG simulator, you could have all the capabilities you'd need for flight training, and it would be a lot less expensive than a really cool manniquen that has capabilities that you don't need (ie: chest tube placement, surgical airway placement). The thing I don't like about some of the manniquens is that it takes away from better training (ie: really knowing where to place EKG electrodes IAW 41-307 on a real person, versus knowing which metal post to put the white lead on or knowing where to put the defib pads versus knowing which paddle to put on the big metal disk). When I was doing AE, I came up with some creative ideas (I came up with a way to hook up an empty IV bag to an IV line so we could actually set up and run the pumps), and other solutions were really simple (ie: chest tubes- just cut a chest tube in half and tape it to the manniquen so it looks like a chest tube in a patient). I was one that never saw the logic in getting a hugely expensive manniquen that had capabilities far beyond the knowledge or abilites of 99% of the people in the AE system.

Good luck
Tom
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#6 cptchrisrn

cptchrisrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:38 AM

We have a SimMan in Cheyenne, but it is strictly for clinical use during "BigDrill" and we don't bring the thing on training flights(not approved). It's pretty cool when hooked up to the software/computer; it will simulate funky rhythms, weird breath sounds, even audible wheezing/breath sounds. Pretty cool toy- but I'm not sure we are getting our money out of the thing.