• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eyeinthesky

eyeinthesky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 01:58 AM

Is any service currently operating a transfer center within their anbulance and helicopter programs? I am looking to do some research on this topic. I know plenty of hospitals have a transfer center that works closely with the transport programs. I can not find any that actually operate the transfer center.

#2 Sr. Comm. Spec

Sr. Comm. Spec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

Is any service currently operating a transfer center within their anbulance and helicopter programs? I am looking to do some research on this topic. I know plenty of hospitals have a transfer center that works closely with the transport programs. I can not find any that actually operate the transfer center.

What do you mean by transfer center? IF you mean handling referals for "Unattached Patients" meaning the Comm. Center takes to call, Triage to the apporiate hospital service, handles the consult and finding an accepting Doctor, and arranging the transport then yes, the program I am with does do that, and has pretty much since it inception...

#3 NighthawkPatrick

NighthawkPatrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hello, Eye,

The comm center I work in is also contracted by several major medical centers to handle inbound patient transfers from other facilities. Those are handled by transfer center coordinators, not the comm specs on duty. When we first started with one hospital, comm specs were handling these. As that part of our center grew, however, it was realized that handling the transfers was a different skill set from flight coordination, and it was decided to staff with coordinators specifically trained for that task. I hope that helps.

Respectfully,

Patrick