• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArmyNurse

ArmyNurse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

Does anyone have any info about the units mission? I am interested in transfering to a Flight Nurse position. Presently a Nurse in the Army Reserves (66H) - I am in the New England area. I am a former enlisted Army Flight Medic, but no opportunities to fly as an Army Nurse. Looking to get back in the air again.

If they are a good unit it would be worth the 3 hour commute from Boston. Not sure if there are any other units in the area.

#2 BadPieces

BadPieces

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:18 AM

Does anyone have any info about the units mission? I am interested in transfering to a Flight Nurse position. Presently a Nurse in the Army Reserves (66H) - I am in the New England area. I am a former enlisted Army Flight Medic, but no opportunities to fly as an Army Nurse. Looking to get back in the air again.

If they are a good unit it would be worth the 3 hour commute from Boston. Not sure if there are any other units in the area.

Hola, all AE units have the same mission profiles based on your primary weapon system assigned to the base (aka the plane)
1) Strategic-inter theater
2) Tactical-intra theater

However, since 911 as you certainly know...old school is out the window and a higher tempo and more flexible mission profiles ifor AE are in. This information you seek is probably better discussed with a representative from the wing in NY.
I'd also like to suggest you reference the military posts bewtween OkANG, Sickpuppy and myself to get an idea of why we all hated it (it's not as intense as civilian flight nursing, lack of TRUE autonomy, etc)
ITry contacting MSgt Reeves at James.Reeves@nyscot.ang.af.mil or trying the recruiters at 109aw@recruiting.goang.com I'm sure they can help you.
Happy hunting.
RN, NREMT-P, X, Y, Z

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they have been given than to explore the power they have to change it." -Richard Bullock

#3 SickPuppy

SickPuppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

I haven't heard any bad things about them. I think I might even know a few people there (but I'm not 100%) sure. they defiantely have a cool mission (the Antarctic and Greenland flights) that no other squadron has (save for McChord doing C-17 Antartic flights). Being in the AE system is definately different than being a WF in a UH-60. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad, but you just have to accept the limitations of the AE system- if you're OK with the limits, then it can be a fun job. Look at the thread about nurses in the Army- there may be some interesting changes comming soon. Let me know if I can help you at all.
"Education is only the further realization of your own ignorance." Albert Einstein

GO GATORS!!!

#4 BadPieces

BadPieces

Advanced Member

• Restricted
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:37 PM

Hi Sick, important thing to remember so that you don't confuse ArmyNurse is that the Airlift WING, not the AE Squadron's have the cold weather mission. This means, as an AECM you might be able to do an ARMS trainer that coincides with their flight plan, but you are not part of the cold weather "mission". AE units do not specifically train for them b/c they are not AE in nature.
RN, NREMT-P, X, Y, Z

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they have been given than to explore the power they have to change it." -Richard Bullock

#5 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Not sure if there are any other units in the area.

If you're still interested, the 439th AES is in Westover. If you need any info pm me.

#6 OKANG FN

OKANG FN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

If you're still interested, the 439th AES is in Westover. If you need any info pm me.

BTW, I've deployed with the 139th AES (falls under the 109th AW) a couple of times, nothing but good things to say about those folks.

#7 cptchrisrn

cptchrisrn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:35 AM

ArmyNurse,

I don't know where in N.E. you are based, but did you look at the 439th AirEvac Squadron at Westover ARB??? Located in Chicopee, Mass- it'd be a quick 2-3hr drive on the Pike to them. I believe they fly on C-130's, but are mainly a C-5 base. Just a thought. I used to work at Baystate in Springfield, and lived up in Amherst and looked at them before moving out west. I know the 109th AW has the Arctic/Antarctica resupply missions- but I don't think they bring Flight Nurses on those- just those lucky Loadmasters. I'm actually thinking about something different than FNing, and being a Load seems fun. Good luck in the search.

#8 FrequentFlyer01

FrequentFlyer01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Sent a few of you some PMs.