6 replies to this topic

#1 flymedic38

flymedic38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:17 PM

Good afternoon 

I'm just doing a little research to see if there are HEMS programs out there with clinical staff working for a fixed salary vs hourly pay with overtime.  Looking for input from both sides of the fence with Pro and Cons.  Any of you that would be willing to share your experience would be greatly appreciated..  Thanks in advance !  Daryl

#2 flymedic38

flymedic38

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:16 PM

Well,  I see over 3,000 views but not even one brave soul willing to share  :unsure:  ???

#3 getoverit

getoverit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

I'll be brave.  I started off with a fixed salary, it was ridiculous and amounted to around $9.50/hr (which 17 years ago was a serious pay cut).  We petitioned the powers-that-be and got it changed to a competitive hourly rate.  But we had to do a regional survey to find out average pay for flight RNs/EMT-Ps.

The thing that really sucks about either choice is that the management knows they "got you" because we love to fly.  I had a manager who literally brandished incoming applications as a threat ("here's a list of people who will do your job for less money").  big question about salary is: pay for 12/24 hr shifts, so what about all the education days and PR events? how does that figure in? I ended up being paid hourly for 40hrs/week but only worked 36, the catch was if we had a late flight or educational day it wasn't factored in, my manager said "it all evens out in the end"....which is probably true.

Good luck and stay safe!

RN, BSN, CCRN

#4 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:07 AM

We are hourly and get paid OT for anything over 40 hours.  We get paid for all PR, education, etc.

#5 timdhawk

timdhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Hospital based, Hourly pay with day, evening, night, weekend, and flight differential. OT when over 40 hrs but no double dipping if we fly a lot i.e.- Flight time does not count towards the 40 hrs.

#6 USDalum97

USDalum97

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 10:28 PM

Hourly. Anything over 40 hours in a week is x 1.5. We also have different pay rates for different schedules. If you work a 24 hour shift (or any part of it), you get your 24 hour rate. There is a 12-hour rate (no one is on 12 hour shifts currently) which is higher. There is also an 8-hour rate which is the highest. Training is paid at the 8 hour rate. If you have already worked 40 hours, you get 1.5 x your 8-hour rate.

We value long-term employees so pay is competitive and there is no "look at all these people lined up behind you that will do it cheaper."

#7 AMason

AMason

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 09:06 AM

Hospital-associated program, union. Paid hourly, 1.5 OT for scheduled extra shifts or sick calls. Feel like I'm well-compensated for what I do. I think it would be easy to get taken advantage of at a salaried rate, and I would be less inclined to take on the non patient care projects that I do now.