2 replies to this topic

#1 Human External Cargo

Human External Cargo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

Hi folks,

It's 2017 and the Epoc has been out there competing against iStat for a significant period of time.  Early efforts were reviewed with some critical questions and concerns.  Analysis verification of the various analytes by the Epoc device has always been comparably accurate to the iStat but there have been questions of cartridge stability/reliability, cost effectiveness, variability and reliability of the automatic onboard analyte QI by the device during analysis, etc.   Developmental progression for the Epoc unit seemed somewhat slow to come to market to create a truly competitive point of care product against iStat but reports are that the alliance with Alere may have changed that.  Using a temperature stable cartridge with a long shelf life, offering a wide scope of critical analytes with a single cartridge that requires a small sample of blood, and having that blood being easily introduced to the cartridge WITHOUT a very sensitive threshold for cartridge overload (like the iStat) appears desirable.

Where are we now?  How many of you are using the Epoc devices?  For those that have previously used (or concurrently use) an iStat product, what are your reflections on real world airevac and pre-hospital critical care use of the Epoc device?  Good, bad, indifferent??

Thanks!

#2 micrograms

micrograms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:48 PM

We use the epoc. Besides hating cap tubes/cap draws, I like it, for the most part. It's a little sensitive to temperature, so we'll try to keep it happy when we're on long distance transports in the winter/summer. I've had "QC Failure" come up for unknown reasons that replacing the card/redrawing the sample does not fix, but for the most part, I like it 90% of the time.

#3 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 04:13 AM

I've used both devices for CCT/ Flight. Epoc vs iStat is a pretty easy contest. Epoc all the way! iStat is older, slower, less user friendly technology compared to the Epoc. For hospitals that still use the iStat, its usually that that is the system that they utilize hospital wide so it is easier to have one device that does the job vs having multiple or switching technologies, not a reflection of superiority and userability. If I were in a position to havinf to buy a POC blood analyzer and did not have to conform to what the hospital already used, I'd get the Epoc every time. 

cheers,

-Kris

Kris