#1 Al Buterol

Al Buterol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:59 AM

I'm shopping for a new watch.

I'm an admitted Gadget Addict, and I just can't seem to get the right fix.

My current Casio lights up when I elevate my arm (keeps the nasty yuck out of the buttons while in flight)

Altitude, temperature and barometer... You know, the ProTrek series.

From a practical I'm looking at things like density altitude and our weight as a real safety concern. So is there anything accurate enough to reply on?

I've got a small Garmin Geko GPS in my vest. How about a watch system? Does anyone have something they enjoy? Downloads later or other such fun?

What's your favorite watch when flying and why?

#2 flmedic

flmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

I have sort of a watch problem. My primary watch at work is a Luminox Series 3080, all black. My other work watch is a Bretiling Emergency. Neither of them show density altitude or anything. The Luminox is great, easy to clean and the display glows great at night. The Breitling is a little more difficult to clean and I try to not wear it at work unless the Luminox needs a repair or something.  I've been looking at the Suunto Ambit series of watches, they have download capability and altimeters. If I had to choose between the two I wear now, I'd choose the Luminox every chance I get.

#3 lostmedic

lostmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

I use a fitbit charge hr. Before this a Peeble. I broke two of those before giving up on that whole smart watch idea.
My old reliable is a solar powered G-shock. It is over 10 years old. Still keep it around because the smart watches are kind of fragie.
Morgan

#4 flightmedic07

flightmedic07

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I have been a huge Luminox fan in the past.  I have had 2 Luminox watches.  The first one was the original series with the metal back, and now my second one has the plastic back.  I should have never sold my first for the second watch.  My second Luminox has had nothing but issues.  I have already sent it in once and it still does not keep time.  So then I bought a Garmin Tactix watch, made specifically for the military, for my use in Saudi Arabia.  It does have some cool features to it but I feel it is more or less a gimmick.  There are some who have all the time in the world to program and trick it out, but that is not me.  I end up using the multiple time zones and alarm more than anything.  Looking to sell the tactix for a good price if anyone is interested.  I am going back to a analog.  

#5 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:12 AM

Im an outdoor enthusiast. I love to dive, hike and originally from VA where I did a lot of caving and climbing. Suunto makes the best watch IMO, hands down. They aren't cheap. 300-400. The Core model is the bread and butter model. I enjoy it for flight bc it actually reads the altitude, temp, ect. It has a depth meter, and even alerts to possible severe weather based on barometer changes ect. Check it out!

#6 Wally

Wally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:17 PM

Casio G-Shock (GD 350 at present) with silent/vibrating alarms, 2 time zones, 5 alarms, stopwatch, mineral crystal and count-down timer. It does the "light the face thing" although I never use it. The vibrating alarm is a must have.

Perfectly functional as a watch, not a chronograph but keeps reliable time, ugly as sin but inexpensive and wears like iron. Ruined many watches with jet A and dropped an aviator watch into the Gulf of Mexico with resultant weeping,