• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

I just landed my first flight job in Fort Lauderdale (fixed wing). Are there any necessities that you experienced folks have found helpful? Even small things you carry with you daily? Any advice is appreciated! 

#2 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:12 AM

Must haves https://images-na.ss...V381090646_.jpg

And

http://i.ebayimg.com...vT74/s-l300.jpg

Of course you can't never be caught without one of these
http://i00.i.aliimg....Knife-VTF01.jpg

#3 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

Congratulations on your new job.  Fly safe!

Per FL's comment:

I find in FW my sunglasses are less critical.  Certainly when inside the aircraft.  And you won't be working on scenes, so again if you forget them; not a big deal.

In one pocket of my flight suit I have what is basically a river knife.  Strong single-blade escape knife of the sort made for kayaking.  If I hadn't already owned it, I might have gone for a folding CSAR type as my rescue knife (they didn't exist when I started doing this.)

I feel naked without my iPhone.  I have clinical aids in it; like you probably already have from your in-house job.  And when we have a very long empty leg back to base (sometimes 3-4 hrs), if I don't want to snooze (earplugs essential for that) I can listen to music or podcasts.

In our operation, many of us carry a small flight bag like a fanny pack or larger for tools and stuff we like to have handy.  (A luxury you can't really do in RW.)  Among the other items, I have my old Leatherman tool on it.  When you need, it's a better invention than sliced bread.

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.

#4 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:19 PM

I was just trolling  :D . For me necessities are cheat sheet notes that I made over the years, drip concentrations pressors/sedation, RAAS Scaling with IV push dosages, CPSSS/LAMS for LVO occlusion, EKG specific metrics, manuals for equipment hospital/prehospital (IABP, Pumps, vents, EVDs, etc), ECC AHA book, medication apps, etc. Making sure your equipment has all the necessary cables and adaptors to change over from hospital A-lines, and IABP etc. Stuff like that, all the toys are a luxury. 

I don't think you would ever be unable to conduct a transport if you didn't have your shades or 8 inch knife, but different brand of IABP from what you came with, no adaptor and your screwed. 

#5 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:15 AM

I fell for it (obviously).  Much of what FL says I expect to be part of the company equipment; though again, in FW we have more room for stuff like manuals.  What you might do is have them formatted so you can carry them in your smart phone, just like you ought to for cheat sheets of different sorts.  I admit I am an old troglodyte, so in addition to the few apps in my smart phone like my drug guide, etc.; I have a few paper items in my little flight bag.  Protocols, favorite flip-books for lab values and such.

I am pretty serious about the escape knife, btw.  Maybe just my thing; but if you ever need such a thing, it can be a near-lifesaver.  I keep a few other survival items on my person, as well.

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

It's all about kind, competent patient care; and getting home safely to tell about it.

#6 micrograms

micrograms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:44 PM

What type of survival items do you carry? I'm trying to ride the balance between being prepared and being ridiculous, but I'm undecided. ;)

#7 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:11 AM

Is anyone familiar with the fixed wing program out of Fort Lauderdale?

#8 insen...

insen...

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:01 AM

When I first started flying, I had crap in every pocket.

18 months later, the only thing I carried was my passport, currency, a notepad, and some pens.

"Miserere stultus qui dicit latin." Contemporary French Linguist Insenescence

#9 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

Ditto what ^ said!   The longer i flew, the less crap i carried........

When it's 120 out in the desert of Arizona, you don't want to be carrying anything that is not a must have.......In the end, the only thing i really carried in my flight suit was my wallet, gum, cash, cell phone and my right lower leg pocket had a small ziploc with a mini-scalpel, cutdown 6.0 ET tube and a bougie. 

John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#10 flmedic

flmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

@JW, which program in Ft Lauderdale? REVA or AeroCare?

#11 brandon911

brandon911

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:51 AM

Medic09 what river knife do you carry?

brandon911

#12 UpintheairRN

UpintheairRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

or National Jets, or AMR, or Trinity?  Seems everybody and their brother has a FW base in FLL/FXE

#13 Medic09

Medic09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:33 PM

Medic09 what river knife do you carry?

brandon911

Only saw this just now.  An old Blackie Collins design made by Gerber.  I finally stopped carrying it this past week as I broke down and bought a Benchmade Triage 915 with the blunt tip.  Folding knife that carries in a pocket much better.

Mordechai Y. Scher
NRP, FP-C, RN

#14 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

Hey all, 

I was flying for REVA. I left and now fly rotor in AZ!