#1 gamedic2007

gamedic2007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

OK,

I don't know what to do right now.

I had a co-worker drinking on duty. I reported it, and it went nowhere the first time. I was told "forget it ever happened. You have to break some rules in flight medicine. It was only one beer." My co-worker did this in a flight suit in a restaurant. He did it again 36 hours later. I reported it again and informed corporate. He was then pulled off the flightline and I was transferred immediately to another base.

2 days later I was told I had complaints against me, and was being assigned an FTO, and was put on a performance improvement plan. Nothing was put on paper. I had pilots who would not talk to me. The last 2 weeks of this hitch was pure hell. I turned in my 2 week notice, and am prepared to leave flight medicine if I have to, but I really wanna keep flying. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated on this.

#2 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:20 AM

Lawyer up and shut up. Seek legal counsel, document everything as accurately as possible and I'd suggest not engaging in public discussion on this site or other publically accessible sites. Good luck.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#3 yourAVERAGEmedic

yourAVERAGEmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

Agreed. Do not provide any more details here or anywhere. Do not identify where you work, not even the state. Do to have up any facebook posts in reference to this either. Get a lawyer, write down everything ASAP. Dates and times and locations are important. Also pull and check that your company has an anti-retaliation policy. Get a copy of the policy for your records.

Kevin Collopy, BA, FP-C, CCEMT-P, NREMT-P, CMTE

#4 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 06:32 AM

Follow what Kevin said... You also need to get an attorney ASAP. Start documenting everything weeks, months, and years ago. You need to get yourself acquainted with a representative in the FAA Whistle Blower Program. They will absolutely help you!!! If you feel you have a real case, do not stop until you get what you want. It will take time, they will try to ruin you professionally, but be steadfast in this endeavor. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. My prayers are with you!

Start here: http://www.faa.gov/a.../whistleblower/

#5 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:08 PM

I would just add one thought to what has already been stated:

I was once "strongly encouraged" to leave a position that I truly loved, for being outspoken about something (not an aviation safety issue, but important) that unfortunately, certain higher-ups didn't want people talking at all about. The months that followed were very tough because not only had I lost a job that I really enjoyed, but I had to deal with the embarrassment of looking for a new job after being fired, and it was all just so blatantly unfair and frustrating. 

In the end though.......it couldn't have been more of a good thing, and it couldn't have come at a better time. Now, years later, I can see that I had actually started to become pretty stagnant at that the place, and though I still loved it at the time, it really wasn't a good fit for me anymore. And the crappy situation I was thrust into taught me some valuable lessons that I have since used to my advantage, and provided the motivation that I needed to pursue better things. I actually ended up with a better job at a better program in a better place, and my career has since moved in a direction that it may never have, had I not left that first job when I did.

Point is, even really crappy, unfair situations that should never have happened can turn out to be very positive. I know that's really hard to see when you are in the middle of getting shafted with a dry broomstick, but it's the truth and you should keep it in the back of your mind.

Do you really even want to keep working with and for people who would do that to you?

bring it in for the real thing