Photo

Poc Lactate Testing For Sepsis Protocols? Anybody Have And Use Them?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 prevail99

prevail99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:24 AM

I am trying to investigate the possibility of using POC lactate testing - I know some programs use them on the ground but am trying to gather more ammo to present a case on why my program should...not really looking for opinions - just wondering what programs use them out there for sepsis and fluid resuscitation guides in trauma and/or if you have protocols in place for them. 

I am familiar with some of the units being used but if you could tell me which ones your programs use that would be great. I have basically already been told "no" on getting the lactate cartridge for our I-stat due to cost and need for constant refrigeration. 

Thanks all!

#2 gopher15

gopher15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:40 AM

We use them but I don't think the cost is worth the benefit. You have to have a different CLIA license. There is a lot of work and testing that has to happen. Our Resp Therapists handle them so I'm not to sure about what cartridges we use.

#3 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Get with, Kevin Collopy about this subject, he's gotten it up and running with his program and he's a great resource! His screen name on here, is "yourAVERAGEmedic". Good luck and don't give up on this endeavor. I too think its a great idea, but know how frustrating it is to get things pushed back because of cost.

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#4 Flybabe

Flybabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

We have been using the CG4 cartridge for iStat for going on 2 years now.  We use it most specifically for the lactate for our sepsis and fluid/blood resuscitation protocols. Being that it offers both ABG and lactate can guide us for initiation of our blood products, we carry 2 UPRBCs and 2 Units liquid plasma. I must say it has made a difference in our crews starting definitive therapy usually 30 min prior to arriving in the ED or ICU. 

We keep our our replacement cartridges in a fridge at our base and we have 3 of each, CG4, CG8 and Chem 8 in our iStat bag. The Chem 8 expires 2 weeks out of the fridge and the others, 2 months.  We fly enough that we very rarely have to toss one due to expiration and we utilize the Chem 8  for our stroke pts for landing to CT scan is BUN/Cr are WNL.  

Karen

Karen Mulvaney RN, MBA, CCRN, CEN, CFRN, NR-P