10 replies to this topic

#1 krmedic

krmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

Background on myself...

In May, I will have 5 years as a medic in a 15,000 call/year service. I also work for a Peds CC team. I am an adjunct at the local community college EMS program, PALS instructor, ITLS instructor, FPC, CNPT and very recently completed my bachelors with a paramedic major.  I have a very good relationship with several of the crew members for the services I have applied for and dont feel that I interview too poorly.  So far I have had three in-person interviews and two phone interviews that didnt result in a face-face.  One service said I needed more critical care experience and possibly my FPC.  Another service said there was really nothing they could think of that I could improve on.  The flight crew members that I teach with following the rejections said they were asked about me, gave good references but didnt hear anything afterward.  I realize this is a competitive field and it just takes time.  Nonetheless, the situation is frustrating. 

For those who have obtained a position, how many times before your first job and where in your career were you? 

Also, if ya'll have any other ideas to improve my resume, please let me know.  I am out of ideas. 

Thanks and be safe

#2 Leonidas

Leonidas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:22 AM

What region are you looking in or near? Are you wiling to move? It might help your chances if you don't limit yourself geographically. Also, have you followed up with anyone who might have been present in your interviews, just in case you didn't interview as well as you thought? They can always help you improve any weakness in your personal presentation.

I think there will be a broad range of "how many applications/interview before first job". It's going to vary on what everyone else brought to the table the first time, where they are, what the program wanted, etc. Just my two cents. Good luck!

#3 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

Send me your resume, Chances are that has something to do with it......I write resumes for people on here all the time and can say categorically, very few medical people are up to date on current resume standards......Most are stuck in a serious time warp circa 1995............

I can send you references of some folks on here who can attest that after I re-wrote their resume, their interviews increased significantly..........

Inbox me and we can go from there..

JW

John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#4 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Considering you've been granted 5 interviews, I wouldn't count on your resume being the problem.

Like you said, it's a competetive industry. Be persistent.
bring it in for the real thing

#5 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

Considering you've been granted 5 interviews, I wouldn't count on your resume being the problem.

Like you said, it's a competetive industry. Be persistent.

I guess it depends on the number of times he has applied and over what time period...........Assuming both are small, i would have to agree......if it's not, time to reevaluate. 

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#6 krmedic

krmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Jwade, ill send you the resume. Ill also try and get with someone who was in the specific interview or has at least seen me interview for an unrelated position. Right now, I cant really leave the area but hopefully, that will change soon. Again, thank you for all your replies!

#7 krmedic

krmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

What region are you looking in or near? Are you wiling to move? It might help your chances if you don't limit yourself geographically. Also, have you followed up with anyone who might have been present in your interviews, just in case you didn't interview as well as you thought? They can always help you improve any weakness in your personal presentation.
  I think there will be a broad range of "how many applications/interview before first job". It's going to vary on what everyone else brought to the table the first time, where they are, what the program wanted, etc. Just my two cents. Good luck!

I live in Texas. I am willing to commute a reasonable distance (around 4 hours is probably the max)

#8 TransportJockey

TransportJockey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 12:28 AM

I put out applications (don't know how many, lost count) to 6 different agencies right before I hit my three year mark. Was hired at a fixed wing agency w/ just under three years experience. Did 911 CCT for a year prior in a rural area w/ some flight time, and have all the alphabet soup to begin with. 

#9 Appmedic28

Appmedic28

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

Send me your resume, Chances are that has something to do with it......I write resumes for people on here all the time and can say categorically, very few medical people are up to date on current resume standards......Most are stuck in a serious time warp circa 1995............

I can send you references of some folks on here who can attest that after I re-wrote their resume, their interviews increased significantly..........

JW

John just recently revamped my resume for me and did an excellent job with it. Unbeknownst to me, I had one of the stuck in the 90's resumes so it was nice to see it cleaned up and in a format hiring managers are looking for. If anyone is on the fence about their resume, shoot John a message.

#10 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:29 AM

JW

J Wade, would you by chance be willing to take a look at mine? Ive heard about you before I even followed flight web. I must say, you seem to be the resume expert!

#11 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

Yep,  No problem.  I just finished 3 others last night.   I sent you my email in a PM.