4 replies to this topic

#1 Iainhol

Iainhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

When I first posted here I was in nursing school about to go on my first ride along. I went to nursing school with the goal of becoming a flight nurse and have worked over the past four years since graduating to gain the experience needed ad make myself a competitive candidate. I think I have most of my bases covered, but with 6 months to go I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Experience:
8 months Med/Surg just getting my experience.
1 year adult ED, level 1 trauma center
1 year Pediatric ED, level 1 trauma center
By the time I apply, I will have 1 year ICU float, covering, Neuro, Cardiovascular (including balloon pumps), Peds, Medical and Surgical ICUs. I also assume the role of STAT nurse, where I respond to all in house codes, strokes, assigned as the second nurse when an ICU patients becomes a 2:1.

Certs
BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP, ENPC, TNCC. I also have NIMS, 100, 200, 700 and 800.

Additional
I completed my masters in nursing administration. My thesis was relevant to the air medical transport industry and I have been invited to present at AMTC. I also submitted it to Air Medical Journal, but I am just waiting to hear if they accept it.

My goals for the next six months include:

- Get my EMT - I was silly and let is lapse, so now I will be working to get it back.

- CFRN - I spoke with the program manager of the program I hope to be hired by and asked whether I should do a CEN or CFRN. She recommended CFRN. I already took a prep course and will study up as we get closer to the application dates, so I can just continue my prep as I get ready for the interview.

- Ride Along - There are four programs I will be competitive with when I have 3 years experience. My goal is to ride along with each of them in the coming months, that way I know the current state of the industry in our region, network and show my interest.

- I have the opportunity to take 'Basic Disaster Life Support.' Is that worth it?

Is there anything else I could/should do? Thanks for your continued help and support.

#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

When I first posted here I was in nursing school about to go on my first ride along. I went to nursing school with the goal of becoming a flight nurse and have worked over the past four years since graduating to gain the experience needed ad make myself a competitive candidate. I think I have most of my bases covered, but with 6 months to go I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Experience:
8 months Med/Surg just getting my experience.
1 year adult ED, level 1 trauma center
1 year Pediatric ED, level 1 trauma center
By the time I apply, I will have 1 year ICU float, covering, Neuro, Cardiovascular (including balloon pumps), Peds, Medical and Surgical ICUs. I also assume the role of STAT nurse, where I respond to all in house codes, strokes, assigned as the second nurse when an ICU patients becomes a 2:1.

Certs
BLS, ACLS, PALS, NRP, ENPC, TNCC. I also have NIMS, 100, 200, 700 and 800.

Additional
I completed my masters in nursing administration. My thesis was relevant to the air medical transport industry and I have been invited to present at AMTC. I also submitted it to Air Medical Journal, but I am just waiting to hear if they accept it.

My goals for the next six months include:

- Get my EMT - I was silly and let is lapse, so now I will be working to get it back.

- CFRN - I spoke with the program manager of the program I hope to be hired by and asked whether I should do a CEN or CFRN. She recommended CFRN. I already took a prep course and will study up as we get closer to the application dates, so I can just continue my prep as I get ready for the interview.

- Ride Along - There are four programs I will be competitive with when I have 3 years experience. My goal is to ride along with each of them in the coming months, that way I know the current state of the industry in our region, network and show my interest.

- I have the opportunity to take 'Basic Disaster Life Support.' Is that worth it?

Is there anything else I could/should do? Thanks for your continued help and support.

Short answer = Not much else to do. You could possibly add instructor status in the AHA courses, I would also take TNATC as well, TNCC is very elementary.

The CEN is a waste of time, go for CFRN, although, if you sign up to take all 3 exams from AACN, you will get a discount. That is what I am doing.

Do i understand you correctly when you stated, assigned as a second nurse for 1 patient? What scenario requires 2 nurses for 1 ICU patient for 12 hours? The only thing I can think of would be an ECMO patient potentially.

I also want to add, I truly hope you have reasonable expectations about what the Air-Medical Industry is / has become. Too many people have this mythical outlook about flying and they are going to save the world........As you know, the data supports most patients who go by aircraft don't need it, and we fly far more BLS flights than true critical care stuff anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still a cool job, but, the myth of HEMS has been perpetuated far too long, and it's simply a fallacy anymore.........
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 Iainhol

Iainhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for your answer. I thought about taking all 3, it appears they are all very similar material and can be done over a week or so. I am unsure exactly what discount they offer, but one is expensive enough and maintain CEUs from two different organizations seems like it would be time consuming. Rarely does the patient require a second nurse for more than a few hours, but if there is a ventriculostomy outside the neuro ICU, or balloon and swan outside the cardiac ICU they I might be there for 12 hours. It is pretty much a firefighting job.

I have been fortunate enough to ride along with many of the local operators and have seen the acuity of transfers. I am an aviation enthusiast and love nursing, so it is a great combination.

#4 BrandonRN

BrandonRN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:16 AM

Where is it you work that you can start as an ICU float as well as code team without ICU experience? That is unusual in my experience but a great opportunity.

#5 Iainhol

Iainhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:49 AM

Brandon, I'll PM you specifics. But it was the hospital I worked at previously, so they knew me and in our ED we had an incredibly large number of ICU holds, many for over 24 hours so I believe they took that into consideration.