1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

We have the Ferno model 28-A in our 135 and, I was always under the impression that the MAX weight was 400lb.

Now I got this from mulitple vendor sites including Ferno's product catalog pg. #129 Ferno 28-A Specs which just confirms what I have always seen with the 28-A specs.

HOWEVER, I have a side-by-side comparison of the 28-A (what we use in the 135) vs. the 28-A-1 (what we use in the 145) sent by Ferno; shows the MAX weight of the 28-A at 650lbs, and the MAX weight of the 28-A-1 is 700lbs

I know that there is practically NO WAY that the girth of a 600lb patient would be appropriate for the cabin space in the 135, just the small amount of room on the right side of an average sized patient can be a problem, much less someone much more larger.

I'm going to try and clarify which "specs" is correct and IF there has been an recent increase of the MAX weight with the 28-A via better material/construction?????? Just looking at both pics from the Ferno and other sources, they look alike.

Just wonder what is/are the thought(s) of the medical crews that use the 28-A.
- Do you think 400lb is sufficient given the "odd" loading angle and decreased height with the 135?
- Would YOU feel comfortable with a ~ 600 lb patient (NOT including equipment weight) on your stretcher?
- Have you been told the same MAX of 400lb with your stretcher?
- Do you load close to 400? or choose ~ 375 for a "buffer-of-room" with equipment weight?
- Is your policy a MAX of 400? if so, where did you obtain that spec/information from?

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#2 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Another question of Ferno would be, for the FAA stretchers, where is the STC documentation that shows the approved weight.

Also, to Ferno How was the max weight obtained - design or testing? What was the safety factor or was that an 'ultimate' or failure point value?
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P