6 replies to this topic

#1 CVICURN

CVICURN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

I have a ride along coming up with the transport program associated with the hospital where I work. What should I be doing to prepare? I've been studying the ASTNA blue book and a pharmacology reference to prepare for any scenario questions that may come up. I've also been researching the program to get a better idea of it's history, service area, safety record, and leadership. I would like for this ride along to start opening up some doors for me to apply in the near future. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

#2 ST RN/PM

ST RN/PM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:49 AM

I have a ride along coming up with the transport program associated with the hospital where I work. What should I be doing to prepare? I've been studying the ASTNA blue book and a pharmacology reference to prepare for any scenario questions that may come up. I've also been researching the program to get a better idea of it's history, service area, safety record, and leadership. I would like for this ride along to start opening up some doors for me to apply in the near future. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

Steve T. RN, PM

#3 CVICURN

CVICURN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ride along was moved back by a month. At least it gives me more time to prepare. Any advice? I was told to wear cotton layers and I will be provided a flight suit when I arrive.

#4 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Ride along was moved back by a month. At least it gives me more time to prepare. Any advice? I was told to wear cotton layers and I will be provided a flight suit when I arrive.

If you provide more info, I am sure more people would offer advice.

Did you request just one ride alone or it's part of an orientation? Are you allowed to participate in medical interventions or are you just an observer? Are you being considered for RN flight position? etc.

Good rules: Arrive early, dress as instructed wear your ID, have all your requirement equipment (whatever it may be). Introduce yourself to the crew, ask them what is their expectations, and go over ground rules with them. I would certainly try to participate in the checkout and learn where all the equipment, medications, is located. Know the protocols they employ, helps if you know what equipment brands they use so you can watch some youtube clips in basic operation (monitor, vent, iv pump).

All these things are dependent on the above information and your role.

#5 Iainhol

Iainhol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:56 PM

There is a careful balance between wanting to help and getting in the way. After we land and are walking into the hospital I always told the crew, I do not want to get in the way so will be standing to one side, if you need anything whether it is help rolling the patient, holding paperwork or something else, just ask as I am happy to help. The tasks that will be asked of you are simple, they are not going to ask you to titrate the dopamine. Then I never asked questions when they were caring for the patient, but after they are done charting there is enough downtime to ask away - every flight crew I have ridden with were happy to teach and answer questions.

I have always had very positive experience riding a long - but I always remembered I was a guest, and it was an immense privilege they allowed me to join them.

#6 CVICURN

CVICURN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the advice so far. I am going on a ride along at my own request. I will be applying for a position the next time one is opened. I want to get an idea of this particular program's modus operandi and begin to make some connections that may help my cause come application time.

#7 CVICURN

CVICURN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

The ride along went well.  We had no calls the entire day, but I was invited back a week later and ran one call.  Overall, it was a good experience.  I learned a lot about a typical day and the requirements of the job.  I also made some good contacts and will hopefully be applying next time they have an opening.  Thanks for the advice all.