5 replies to this topic

#1 randyl

randyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Well my PAIP question didn't draw many responses so not sure if it wasn't clear or if the model I was describing is not that common in other areas. This mornings question is in relation to performance standards within your coordination centre. There is not a tremendous amount of information out there in relation to this topic. If you have developed performance standards for your centre and are able to share them it would be of great interest. Call handling times and times to dispatch are some specific areas that could fall under performance standards. I am not looking at ground 911 but rather the inter facility work. As more and more organizations and government look to validating the monies spent for the services provided and the outcomes achieved I believe it will be important to have meaningful standards in place.

Thanks for any insight or feedback.

#2 randyl

randyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Anyone?

#3 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:47 PM

There is a great deal of variation and complexity involved. Some calls require more time and some less time, to assign an arbitrary "standard" time for non standard line of work is nuts. I've been to facilities to just locate their "X unit" took 20 minutes not to mention patient transition.

911 sure you can do "standard" scene time and get going

What is your acceptable " Call handling time" for this job? How can you even come up with a number? Who are your providers?

LOL at arbitrary standards

Posted Image

#4 randyl

randyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

There is a great deal of variation and complexity involved. Some calls require more time and some less time, to assign an arbitrary "standard" time for non standard line of work is nuts. I've been to facilities to just locate their "X unit" took 20 minutes not to mention patient transition.

911 sure you can do "standard" scene time and get going

What is your acceptable " Call handling time" for this job? How can you even come up with a number? Who are your providers?

LOL at arbitrary standards

Posted Image

In speaking to performance standards, i was actually looking to see if centres were measuring things like call handling times such as time from initial contact to assignment of a priority code or the time from initial contact to assignment to a resource. I wasn't looking at the back end of the response but strictly the processes occurring within the coordination centre. I agree that there really isn't any standard time when it comes to bedside or even getting to the patient given the variables involved.

#5 nws2002

nws2002

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

Well my PAIP question didn't draw many responses so not sure if it wasn't clear or if the model I was describing is not that common in other areas. This mornings question is in relation to performance standards within your coordination centre. There is not a tremendous amount of information out there in relation to this topic. If you have developed performance standards for your centre and are able to share them it would be of great interest. Call handling times and times to dispatch are some specific areas that could fall under performance standards. I am not looking at ground 911 but rather the inter facility work. As more and more organizations and government look to validating the monies spent for the services provided and the outcomes achieved I believe it will be important to have meaningful standards in place.

Thanks for any insight or feedback.

This is something that is going to vary with almost every operation.

We like to see 90 seconds from Call Started (when the comm spec answers the phone) to Assigned (when the comm spec assigns the trip to a crew in CAD) for an emergency trip. That means the comm spec has 90 seconds to collect all the information from the caller and assign the trip to a crew. However, there are times the caller from the sending facility doesn't have all the information or has to find a nurse to answer a question.

In our case the 90 second number came from reviewing how long our calls were taking. In our case 90% of the calls were answered/information obtained/dispatched within 90 seconds.

#6 randyl

randyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

This is something that is going to vary with almost every operation.

We like to see 90 seconds from Call Started (when the comm spec answers the phone) to Assigned (when the comm spec assigns the trip to a crew in CAD) for an emergency trip. That means the comm spec has 90 seconds to collect all the information from the caller and assign the trip to a crew. However, there are times the caller from the sending facility doesn't have all the information or has to find a nurse to answer a question.

In our case the 90 second number came from reviewing how long our calls were taking. In our case 90% of the calls were answered/information obtained/dispatched within 90 seconds.

Thanks very much for the feedback.