3 replies to this topic

#1 Foxfire001

Foxfire001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

I am considering purchasing a SPH-5 Gentex Helmet. For those of you who are using this particular helmet what are your thoughts?

#2 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

I have an SPH-4 (which the SPH-5 is similar to the 4) I bought it around '02 and it's been great with not many problems other than normal wear.
If you are wanting a lightweight helmet, then you have either Alpha or MSA Gallet... However the MSA's are very expensive, and you can customize the MSA to around 3K (+)

Also, be sure to ask the delivery time on your helmet that includes assembly... Don't forget to make sure you understand the warranty if you customize it.

Some Basics you want:
*Dual visors.
*White (painted helmets require ALOT of tough-up work)
*Trash the TPL and get a ZetaLiner.
*Coiled cord (straight is to short)
*300 ohm speakers.
*Lip light.
*A good retention system
*Look into the leather ear cups

Some things I would recommend:
-Definitely dual visors. Check out the news lens that are available (Amber color and a gradient type)
-White in color. (If you get it painted order touch-up paint FROM THE PERSON WHO PAINTED IT)
-ZitaLiner, more comfortable (trash the TPL) ZetaLiner
-A good retention system (no web system)
-Coiled cord, not straight, you'll love the extra length.
-Lip light Seitz Inc.
-If you fly w/ NVG, you need a mount.

-Helmet bag

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#3 Thinking

Thinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

I have a Gentex, and an Alpha. Both have dual visors etc, the Alpha has noise canceling. The Alpha sits on the shelf and the Gentex gets worn. To me it's a more comfortable helmet and does the job well.

#4 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

I am considering purchasing a SPH-5 Gentex Helmet. For those of you who are using this particular helmet what are your thoughts?

Ditto everything MIMS said. I have an SPH-5, go to OregonAero and get the hush kit and ZETALINER. Throw that POS TPL liner in the trash. Your head will thank you. Upgrade your boom mike to the flexible version as well.

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs