Photo
- - - - -

Fp-C And Cfrn Renewal. What Does Your Program Do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mg/kg

mg/kg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

My program is starting the process of getting all our crew members that do not have their FP-C or CFRN ready to test and hopefully pass. But the question came up of what to do about continuing education hours for those that need to renew? Does anyone have a program or plan in place to cover the bases and check the boxes of this process? Any thoughts or insight would help a lot.

#2 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

My program is starting the process of getting all our crew members that do not have their FP-C or CFRN ready to test and hopefully pass. But the question came up of what to do about continuing education hours for those that need to renew? Does anyone have a program or plan in place to cover the bases and check the boxes of this process? Any thoughts or insight would help a lot.

Well if FP-C and CFRN are mandatory, then I agree with management, or whoever is pressing the issue. If it's NOT mandatory, then there needs to be some compromise.

If you everybody that needs CEU for FP-C/CFRN are on the same deadline, then it's going to make scheduling a little easier, if not, it's probably going to be more of an individual responsibility.

I can only speak for the FP-C and as for continuing education and the required hours, you have four years to get the required hours. That includes the sixteen hour renewal course that you have to attend or do the online option.... There are a lot of locations for the renewal course that offer online as well. Plus you can include/submit other sources like; lectures, presentations, writings etc....
So not getting the hours within four years is VERY doable...

Here is the tough part. If you don't have access to on going critical care training, then you are limited to online courses, which can be boring and if you are a procrastinator it can feel like a burden.
There are a lot of online courses available, but can be a little tough finding "Critical Care" material. Plus, there are other allowed

I got my FP-C in 2000 and have tested and renewed by CEU. There are advantages and disadvantage to both. I have renewed by CEU twice and tested once because I was not going to have the hours for the CEU renewal.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#3 mg/kg

mg/kg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I guess I should ask the question of how has other programs gone about keeping everyone up to date with the proper education and training requirements? I'm trying to see what works for some programs and what may not.

#4 baseflight

baseflight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

I guess I should ask the question of how has other programs gone about keeping everyone up to date with the proper education and training requirements? I'm trying to see what works for some programs and what may not.

I found it interesting that one of our competitors Life Flight Network (which has 15 bases over Oregon, Washington, Idaho and now Montana) states it requires Paramedics to attain FP-C within 2 years of hire yet they only have 2 currently certified according to the BCCTPC Honor Roll. Are they having trouble passing the exam or are they just not required to take it / maintain it?
BASEFlight . RRT-NPS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, FP-C