• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FlightWeb News

FlightWeb News

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

The FAA has released new rules that address safety in air medical transport.

FAA Releases Sweeping Helicopter Safety Rule
Final Rule - Helicopter Air Ambulance, Commercial Helicopter, and Part 91 Helicopter Operationshttp://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/FlightwebNews/~4/EOejNwvw4DA

#2 elrsmom

elrsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

What are the 35 (or more) small operators flying probably in the boonies doing about responding to the requirements?
In the past this has always been a concern.

#3 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

What are the 35 (or more) small operators flying probably in the boonies doing about responding to the requirements?
In the past this has always been a concern.

I'm not sure what or how they will comply.

Just reading the final Rule I agree with:
- A-06-12: recommending 135 with medical personnel and NO patient on board, as opposed to flying 91 until you have a pt on board. Also, not flying 91 beyond 14hrs duty time.. I believe most of the programs have been flying 135 both legs any way.
- A-06-15: HTAWS YES it does add and help with Situational Awareness....... BUT hopefully it won't be all the is dependant on though.
- A-09-90: Flight data recording. This will invaluable when the investigation process of preliminary and finals are released.. I think some of the GPS has this ability to record data.
- I'm glad to see more emphasis on training.

I would like to see:
- Auto-pilot, that would be reasonable
- Mandate NVG

Did not care to much about this statement:
"The commenters are correct that, as discussed in the NPRM, currently non-patient-carrying legs of helicopter air ambulance operations may be conducted under part 91. The FAA, through this rule, is requiring legs with medical personnel onboard to be conducted under part 135. The primary reason for this change is to protect medical personnel by ensuring that those flights are conducted under the more stringent operating rules of part 135. As noted by the NTSB, medical personnel "cannot be expected to meaningfully participate in the decision-making process to enhance flight safety or to significantly contribute to operational control of the flight." Accordingly, the FAA determined that medical personnel deserve the same safety protections that part 135 provides to patients on helicopter air ambulance flights." - sub-title, Relationship Between Parts 91 and 135.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#4 elrsmom

elrsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

[quote name='Mike Mims' date='23 February 2014 - 11:10 PM' timestamp='1393225839' post='34036']
I'm not sure what or how they will comply.

Is the FAA saying these small operators who do not have the financial means to comply have to respond with proof of income/expenses in order to get some items, rules, waived?
Are you hearing anything regarding provisions for areas that really cannot support a base?

#5 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:29 AM

I don't think if the smaller programs protest the changes due to the lack of capital to comply with the FAA final rule, they are going to be successful with their argument(s)

If it were a recommendation from the NTSB, I could see a valid complaint, but since the NTSB can only "recommend" and the FAA "requires/mandates" it's going to be interesting.

Since it's fairly new FAA Final, I haven't heard as of yet about base support problems.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center