6 replies to this topic

#1 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Came across this article today on my iPad. This is right up speeds wheelhouse.....

Do you think this will increase safety?

Air-Ambulance Drones
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#2 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Came across this article today on my iPad. This is right up speeds wheelhouse.....

Do you think this will increase safety?

Air-Ambulance Drones

John,

Way cool and novel concept! Do I see drones being used in the civilian arena? Not really, at least not around 2020 when they anticipate these prototypes being rolled-out. I just don't see how drones increase safety, because they are still operated by humans; the leading factor/cause behind air incidents.

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#3 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

As Randy L'Heureux said, this could be a very positive thing. They could really define their requirements. An opportunity to provide a larger platform, twin engine, two pilots and IFR capable. More areas of America should seriously look at increasing requirements and reducing numbers of bases to realistically meet the demand and maintain competencies.

But they won't. "There were 615 calls for trauma transport in 10 of the 14 southwest counties during 2013, and four of the calls were for air transport from the scene of the injuries" so in other words 611 IFT's. And "five tactical flight officers. The latter would serve as State Patrol officers and paramedics."

To be done by a single Trooper Medic at each base (well team, but only one per aircraft)? Doubt it very much. Their primary focus will be Law Enforcement with occasional (one a day) medical flights. And at an IFT acuity level these are best NOT done by part time medics. And the hospitals aren't going to assume the liability or under-staffing or overtime of sending a RN on them.

“We’re not getting into the business of air ambulance service,” the colonel said. “The state is not trying to get into competition with private carriers.”

Sounds like the Sheriffs office is using the HEMS card to get an asset he can't get on a police budget.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#4 Speed

Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

We are most definitely on the horizon of another bio&technological revolution which is on hold until "they" can figure out how to either compensate for an astronomical number of people out of work or reduce the population by a 1/3? Mail delivery, trash trucks, shipping, city buses, most everything automated. The tech is here and viable. The last thing it needs is actual field use to evolve further.
Mike Williams CCEMT-P/FP-C

#5 medic4cqb

medic4cqb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

We are most definitely on the horizon of another bio&technological revolution which is on hold until "they" can figure out how to either compensate for an astronomical number of people out of work or reduce the population by a 1/3? Mail delivery, trash trucks, shipping, city buses, most everything automated. The tech is here and viable. The last thing it needs is actual field use to evolve further.

Mike,
You're scaring me, not because I think that you'll prove me wrong, but because YOU'RE RIGHT!! This is on the verge of becoming reality :mellow:

Steve A., RN, CCRN, EMT-P

"The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness..."
- Bruce Lee

#6 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:46 AM

We will see. There are many issues and our fundamental understanding of many things is simply not complete. It is likely to be feasible, but when that will occur is not nearly as certain in my mind. Another issue that will need to be addressed is the risk for espionage and pernicious hacking. If we ever cross the threshold into viable quantum computing systems, we may experience a change in our technological zeitgeist. There will be new advances and challenges alike. Unfortunately, even our most robust technology is not able to solve anything but the most basic of problems in many fundamental areas of science and technology. There is an amazing amount of approximation that is currently required. Perhaps that will be enough to develop technology with advanced heuristics that can perform complex tasks?
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#7 Battman

Battman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

UAV/UAS (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle/System) will be in the future. There are already county(s) using them in their military and started 3-4 years ago. I laugh also, about this years ago. Now the US has a project to bring this to life in the near future. Between Drones fighting wars, the highly successful UAVs re-supply drones in OEF and the cost, I think it will be some part of the future. From 2009 through 2012 NATO did a study why or why not use Drones as air ambulance. The report (Safe ride standard for casualty evacuation) came out in Dec 2012. In short, there was no reason why not to go forward with these programs. The US has been looking at this for a few years now. It would not be used to critical care patients but, to move a patient who needed an xray, CT or a patient stable enough to be transported without a medical attendant. Again, four years ago I laugh at the idea and now its coming true.