• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flightnurse10

flightnurse10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hey all I am in process of becoming a flight nurse. I have an option between 4 programs curious to what you would choose 2 Hospital base programs one flying EC 145 and the other an AS 365 dauphin, or 2 community based services one with EC130 one with Bell 206
community based configuration RN/ Medic
hospital one is MD/ nurse other is nurse/nurse
I have done much research about the programs but looking to the community who has experience flying in these aircraft and configurations on your thoughts about them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Hey all I am in process of becoming a flight nurse. I have an option between 4 programs curious to what you would choose 2 Hospital base programs one flying EC 145 and the other an AS 365 dauphin, or 2 community based services one with EC130 one with Bell 206
community based configuration RN/ Medic
hospital one is MD/ nurse other is nurse/nurse
I have done much research about the programs but looking to the community who has experience flying in these aircraft and configurations on your thoughts about them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good Question.

1. Stay far away from the 206 no matter what. Underpowered and too slow for HEMS no matter what you hear different. Even the L4 version ( someone will pipe up with that I'm sure). There is no amount of money in the world that would get me to work in a 206. Ask any objective RW pilot.

2. There are many pros and cons to both community and hospital based programs, and I urge you to search through the previous threads on this question specifically.

3. I tend to lean towards community based, a lot less politics to deal with on a daily basis and less Indians thinking they are all chiefs running around.

4. I love the Dauphine and would choose that program all other things being equal. THe EC -145 is a great platform as well. You should really also find out if they are VFR or IFR programs, as this would play a role in my decision, plus night vision goggles etc....

5. Accident / Incident history, have they tried to play them off as hard landings instead of crashes like a few of our illustrious programs that tend to cause blackouts of this page?

6. It's a tough decision, money, benefits, shift length, hours required, etc.....safety being number 1 of course, as a newbie, you need to ask the tough questions right from the start and not be a follower. Dont let the appeal of a flight suit and calling yourself a "flight" nurse override your common sense. This also happens way too frequently.

7. If you want to post some of your research, we can help you pick apart the good and the bad to help you make an informed decision.
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Good Question.

1. Stay far away from the 206 no matter what. Underpowered and too slow for HEMS no matter what you hear different. Even the L4 version ( someone will pipe up with that I'm sure). There is no amount of money in the world that would get me to work in a 206. Ask any objective RW pilot.

2. There are many pros and cons to both community and hospital based programs, and I urge you to search through the previous threads on this question specifically.

3. I tend to lean towards community based, a lot less politics to deal with on a daily basis and less Indians thinking they are all chiefs running around.

4. I love the Dauphine and would choose that program all other things being equal. THe EC -145 is a great platform as well. You should really also find out if they are VFR or IFR programs, as this would play a role in my decision, plus night vision goggles etc....

5. Accident / Incident history, have they tried to play them off as hard landings instead of crashes like a few of our illustrious programs that tend to cause blackouts of this page?

6. It's a tough decision, money, benefits, shift length, hours required, etc.....safety being number 1 of course, as a newbie, you need to ask the tough questions right from the start and not be a follower. Dont let the appeal of a flight suit and calling yourself a "flight" nurse override your common sense. This also happens way too frequently.

7. If you want to post some of your research, we can help you pick apart the good and the bad to help you make an informed decision.

To the original poster.....If you decide to post further, please be sure to leave the names of the companies out of your posts so as not to start flame wars, etc.

Thanks,

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#4 flingwing1

flingwing1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

Good Question.

I agree completely with John. The Dauphin is a great aircraft. Never flown a 145 (it is really a BK-117 with a new front end and avionics) but I hear they are OK. Much slower than the Dauphin. Hospital or community- pros and cons to each. What it comes down to is how you feel about the program. Does it match what you want?

#5 backseatrider23

backseatrider23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

Agree with Jwade, stay away from the 206 especially if you have a choice and the other aircraft mentioned. In addition to the safety records and NVGs things like in aircraft radar, TAWS and other features should be researched. Please take into consideration the company you will be employed by, are the aircraft very old, maintenance up to date. Personally, the Dauphin and the EC145 programs would be my top picks just because the aircraft are larger with more room. I have flown in singles my whole HEMS career and dont have a problem with single engine aircraft.

Be greatful for today because tomorrow is never promised.

Jay RN, CFRN, NRP, CCEMT-P