23 replies to this topic

#21 timdhawk

timdhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:32 PM

As a 2 cert holder (CFRN, CCRN)and the dumbest flight nurse I know... I can say that all these certs do is show a certain (higher?) degree of dedication to your professional advancement. In theory, they say to others that you have obtained a higher degree of specific knowledge in that given specialty. They do not represent experience. I would hands down hire someone with 10-15 yrs good exp. and no certs over someone with 2-3 yrs exp and 2 cans of alphabet soup! Experience enhances and even validates the certs.

Certs make you qualified. Experience makes you capable.

#22 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

As a 2 cert holder (CFRN, CCRN)and the dumbest flight nurse I know... I can say that all these certs do is show a certain (higher?) degree of dedication to your professional advancement. In theory, they say to others that you have obtained a higher degree of specific knowledge in that given specialty. They do not represent experience. I would hands down hire someone with 10-15 yrs good exp. and no certs over someone with 2-3 yrs exp and 2 cans of alphabet soup! Experience enhances and even validates the certs.

Certs make you qualified. Experience makes you capable.

10-15 years (good?) experience and 2-3 years and alphabet soup is not a fair comparison to make. Over a decade of work vs 2-3 years is not even close. Alphabet soup is just overview of material or a quick introduction for you to build upon.

I'd argue continuos formal college education BA>BS>MS in relevant field etc. with 5 years experience and persistence to improve would out perform someone with 10 years experience and no college education.

This is EMS as it stand today, years on the job with GED is king.

#23 timdhawk

timdhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

I'd argue continuos formal college education BA>BS>MS in relevant field etc. with 5 years experience and persistence to improve would out perform someone with 10 years experience and no college education.

This is EMS as it stand today, years on the job with GED is king.

Define "out perform".

I would agree to a point on this, however there is a reason there is an industry average to have 3-5 yrs experience to even be able to apply. Not 3-5 yrs education. There is a fundimental level of knowledge that comes from said experience that simply cannot be learned from a class or book no matter how hard someone tries. You don't go to school to become a medic or a nurse... you go to school so that you can get your first job as a medic or a nurse. Only then does the "real" education start.

#24 ForeverLearning

ForeverLearning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Define "out perform".

I would agree to a point on this, however there is a reason there is an industry average to have 3-5 yrs experience to even be able to apply. Not 3-5 yrs education. There is a fundimental level of knowledge that comes from said experience that simply cannot be learned from a class or book no matter how hard someone tries. You don't go to school to become a medic or a nurse... you go to school so that you can get your first job as a medic or a nurse. Only then does the "real" education start.

Formal education with experience will outperform pure experience in all aspects of medicine. Just so we are clear I am not talking about paramedic or nursing repackaged, dilute and bastardized classes like: Bioanatomy for healthcare, or Organic chemistry for nursing professional, Or some online McShitty meal class etc. I mean real senior college course work the one that is suited for engineering majors, to apply to medical school, law school, to apply to real grad school.

I truly disagree with experience is king mentality. The good old boys with their bravado display of "look how many zeros my medic card has, all you peons better bow down before this dinosaur" mentality is lame as it gets.

At a certain point (3-5 years) you have seen enough subsets and patient presentations it does not require a decade. This mentality of "All I got to do is do this for a a bunch of years and i'll be good, it will come with on the job training" and equate lapsed time with progress is total bullshit. You just revert back to doing what is easy, comfortable and what has been a TRADITION! To get good you need to devote time, sit down and actually read and study which is hard, this will not be comfortable, traditions would get abandoned and you will upset some people.

You cannot learn from a class or from a book, because it's hard work not many have the fortitude and perseverance. You go to school to become a well rounded individual, free thinker, someone who can challenge tradition because you are well read and with experience can see tradition in medicine has no place.