3 replies to this topic

#1 NeverSayDie

NeverSayDie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:52 AM

Hello all,

My name is luke. I'm a 22 year old line medic in the 82nd. I was a basic for a year before I entered the army on a contract to become a W1 special operations medic, but was dropped 10 weeks into a 12 week selection course for an unsecured wall locker (and being in a class that had more medics preparing to graduate, than the unit had slots that needed filling for that quarter, but that's "a whole nother story".). I'm one year in on a four year contract, and am very interested in flight medicine as a career, both in the military and as a civilian. With the war winding down, my first priority is do what I joined to do and deploy so I can actually save some lives and do some real good instead of marching around in parades and picking up cigarette butts pretending to be a soldier. (the joys of being a private, right?)

Anyway following that my goals are to

A. Get into a Medivac unit and become a military flight medic. I expect this to be slightly more difficult than you'd expect, simply because my unit has the nasty habit until holding on to new personnel with a death grip until they die or retire. But if getting there means bucking the system and p*ssing off a senior NCO or two, so be it. Volunteer statements for flight medic school take precedence of local command needs, so I just have to get it past my local command and into the system.

B. get my RN, NREMT-P, CCP-C, and FP-C, while I'm still in. Army tuition assistance will foot the bill for all of it, provided I switch my EMT-P major to an RN major at the last minute, and pay for the last few credits out of pocket. Most of the credits for the 1st should transfer over to the 2nd and save me a year. The challenge here is finding the time. I work some really unpredictable hours and finding a way to make not just 1, but 2 degrees and an alphabet soup of certs fit around that is going to be tough.

C. Put in some good time in an ED so I don't just wind up being a paper FP. This is the easiest of the three so far. Fayetteville is one of the biggest hives of scum and villainy in the civilized world, so there's no short supply of critical pt's rolling into Washington regional. I'm already registered with the red cross and have been volunteering at Womack on post on Sundays. A transfer out into the "wild west" EMS companies/ ER's outside the gate won't be hard to work out at all.

D. ETS and get the heck out so I can find work with civilian HEMS company in Alaska. If I ever start to miss soldiering there's always the national guard, but I've already had my fill of a "peacetime" active duty army and I'm counting the days. This is the part of the equation I know the least about, and will be searching the threads here to find out what I can and occasionally ask a question or two when I can't find the awnser I'm looking for. I look foward to learning from all of you.

Safe Skies and Soft Landings,

NSD

#2 striker21w

striker21w

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:14 AM

Hey Luke
Sounds like you are running in the right direction. I'm guessing you know this already, but if you can get into a medevac co they will be sending you to the flight medic, paramedic and CC courses. These are soon to be required for all army flight medics (they have till 2016 or 17 to get everybody through). So if you can get yourself into a medevac unit, that would be a huge step in the right direction. Then you wouldn't have to use any of your school benefits for your paramedic.

Plus there are more and more paramedic to RN programs popping up which you could use the benefits for. A lot of paramedics talk about getting their RN but many are slow to act. I would suggest getting the RN done as soon as your able. It just opens a lot more doors. Also, in most civilian HEMS programs you'll essentially do the same job but make notably more money.

If you have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM.
Good luck and thanks for serving...

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:51 PM

Nursing school will be next to impossible to do while on active duty. The way most programs are structured, they can only be done full time. Clinical is a big time commitment, too.

Have you considered applying to one of the Army's nursing programs?

Alternatively, you could get your paramedic while you are in, then once you are out, work as a paramedic while going to nursing school on the GI bill.
bring it in for the real thing

#4 backseatrider23

backseatrider23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

As you stated already use the military and let uncle sugar pay for as much school as possible. If you have a good NCO talk to him/her and see if you can attend paramedic school at night.

Be greatful for today because tomorrow is never promised.

Jay RN, CFRN, NRP, CCEMT-P