#1 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hey Guys,
I've looked into the formums for information regarding IV fluid/ blood warmers for RW transport. So far I've looked into the "Thermal Angel". Boundtree lists it for ~$165/unit. I like the specifications on it, in terms of what it can do.

I've also looked into Zoll's enFlow. It's specifiications are also great for what we are looking at. waiting on a call back from a rep regarding cost.

Anyone use either products, or have others in mind?

we will be using them for blood product administration and large fluid volumes as needed.

Want to get the best product for our money.

cheers,
-carpe diem

Kris

#2 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

This is what we have used for about 5 years now. It does a decent job with keeping the fluids warm. We keep a liter of saline x 2, LR and a bag of Mannitol
One thing to pass along: it will keep the fluids warm, but if you replace it with new fluids, it will take a while to get them warm.

If the supplies that come with the warmer has not changed, you will need to by an adapter that plugs into a 110v outlet that has a female connector to plug into the bags power supply cord.

Posted Image

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#3 pureadrenalin

pureadrenalin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'd look into the BuddyLite..

The biggest question you need to ask yourself is this.....

If you ARE infusing blood, you need a point of administration warmer, you can't warm it reliably any other way. And actually, I think if you warm them in a convective warmer like the one posted above, it's actually detrimental. I'll have to find the paper I read on it....

If you are not infusing blood...then you need to decide on transport times, and the best solution. Naturally, ambient air temps play this biggest factor, but, fluids in a 72* environment, lose about 2 degrees for every 10 minutes out of the warmer.

At that point it's a matter of what is, or isn't approved for aircraft use. The BuddyLite is, it has the USAMAA rating, and it's the only one, I think, the military uses. If you are only ground, then the above works well, but I'd suggest the Chillcore case from Thomas. Heats fluids to 105*, and can hold up to 4L. If you need, it's also a fridge. Also comes with an insulated pressure infusor.

#4 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hey Guys,
I've looked into the formums for information regarding IV fluid/ blood warmers for RW transport. So far I've looked into the "Thermal Angel". Boundtree lists it for ~$165/unit. I like the specifications on it, in terms of what it can do.

I've also looked into Zoll's enFlow. It's specifiications are also great for what we are looking at. waiting on a call back from a rep regarding cost.

Anyone use either products, or have others in mind?

we will be using them for blood product administration and large fluid volumes as needed.

Want to get the best product for our money.

cheers,
-carpe diem

The Belmont Buddy Lite is the way to go! Rechargeable and reuseable with only a small inline cassette replaced between patients. We carry two of them on every aircraft and use them for plasma and RBC transfusion as well as to warm IVFs. Heats rapidly and I'm much more likely to routinely use it on IVFs at only a matter of dollars per patient instead of $150 plus. I was able to get two units of RBCs through it and into a humerus IO in about 20 minutes and 2 plasma into an AC in about 15 minutes yesterday using both warmers. Good stuff!

http://www.belmontin...roduct.php?id=4
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#5 Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

thanks for the replies. I have my feelers out to all the above plus one or two more

When my program has made their decision, I will post it. Complete with the rhymes or reasons and pro's and con's (so others may utilize as a resource for future decision making)

cheers,
carpe diem

Kris

#6 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

The Thermal Angle is used by the US military and now looks like it is portable and has a battery and is sold as a portable package as seen in the PDF here.

http://www.thermalan...ions-TA-UOM.pdf

#7 ysumedic05

ysumedic05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

So we just started using the Thermal Angel a few months ago and it has worked great for us so far. The only thing I would suggest is getting a smaller carrying bag with it. The case that comes with it is pretty large with a lot of wasted space. We currently carry it in a small Meret brand bag and it fits perfect into the drawers in our 145. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Justin

Justin Koper FP-C, NREMT-P

#8 vtach1010

vtach1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:08 AM

We have used the Thermal Angel for about 10 years. Works great for both fluids and blood products. I have done some massive blood transfusions during flight and droped off a normal thermic patient even though they started out hypothermic from the sending facility not warming blood or fluids. They have a new battery pack that is supper small and lite vs the old 8lb brick. With all the IV fluid shortage / rationing we don't like using the warming bags since the fluid should not exceed 2 weeks in it per some manufactures.