• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StFuz

StFuz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Doing some research and I am requesting information on who out there does Neo/Pedi ECMO Transport, what modes of transport you use (airframes/preferably rotor), crew configurations, and what device you use.

Thanks

StFuz

#2 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

the ELSO site is a good place to start. don't think you'll find a lot of RW ECMO CCT. there are some smaller "ECMO-Lite" type devices i have discussed here before that may lend themselves to this application. however, there are also reports of issues w/ coagulopathies with some of those devices. i have trained as an ECMO perfusionist and am also lecturing at a national cardio-pulmonary bypass/ECMO conference later this year. feel free to hit me up off line with specific questions.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#3 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

the ELSO site is a good place to start. don't think you'll find a lot of RW ECMO CCT. there are some smaller "ECMO-Lite" type devices i have discussed here before that may lend themselves to this application. however, there are also reports of issues w/ coagulopathies with some of those devices. i have trained as an ECMO perfusionist and am also lecturing at a national cardio-pulmonary bypass/ECMO conference later this year. feel free to hit me up off line with specific questions.

I would contact Survival Flight - University of Michigan ECMO was invented at Michigan, and they transport Adult and Pediatric / NEO ECMO patients via rotor wing and their EC-155. Also, off the top of my head, University of Miami childrens hospital does as well, or at least they used to. I don't know anyone there, but maybe someone on here does. I also want to say Vanderbilt but, i cannot say with any certainty.

I am teaching tomorrow at Michigan, I will probably have some of the survival flight crews in my class, so I will try and get some more detailed information for you.

The Survival Flight standard crew is RN / RN, but most of them are paramedics as well. The specialty crews for ECMO i believe are RN / Physician / Perfusionist. Again, i could be wrong.

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#4 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

the ELSO site is administered by the University of Michigan... ;)

not going to bother to objectively quantify my use of the words "a lot".

yes, there are some folks that do it RW, including Survival Flight... Angel One at ACH, and a few others....
DRF Luftrettung in Germany pioneered RW CCT w/ several of the "ECMO-Lite" devices i referred to...

generally speaking, it takes a big bird or a small circuit. crew config depends on circuit configuration, patient, etc.

again, as you progress in your research , please keep the specific questions coming.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#5 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

the ELSO site is administered by the University of Michigan... ;)

not going to bother to objectively quantify my use of the words "a lot".

yes, there are some folks that do it RW, including Survival Flight... Angel One at ACH, and a few others....
DRF Luftrettung in Germany pioneered RW CCT w/ several of the "ECMO-Lite" devices i referred to...

generally speaking, it takes a big bird or a small circuit. crew config depends on circuit configuration, patient, etc.

again, as you progress in your research , please keep the specific questions coming.

Thanks Sean, I learned something new today! LOL.....

I have very little interest in ECMO personally, but, the little i do know about it, was because the wife did her Anesthesia Residency at Michigan, and she would come home after running the Thoracic ICU all night and telling me about having to crash people onto ECMO or Survival Flight bringing her a patient already on ECMO from another facility. Needless to say she would never get any sleep those nights.....

Reminds me too much of my days working in the OR and doing cardiac cases.....Bypass pump - etc......Always found those cases rather boring ( Plus the perfusionist always looked bored out of their mind), same procedure every single time. I preferred the Ortho trauma cases, retrograde femoral nails were cool and it is always fun to try and put a pelvis that looks like a jigsaw puzzle back together while Metallica is blasting in the background at 3am.... Those were good times!

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#6 kidmedic

kidmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

St. Louis Children's Critical Care Transport Team utilizes a perfusionist,RN,MD team and a Cardiohelp ECMO pump to transfer ECMO patients via a Pilatus, Kingair 200, or dedicated ground Mobile Intensive Care Unit.