• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Marc

Marc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

In a couple of weeks I'll be testing/interviewing for one of the larger HEMS, curious what the test might entail/degree of difficulty. The Program Director for the service suggested I study a National Registry Paramedic test prep book, I've been using Success for the Paramedic by Richard A. Cherry, any thoughts? Brief background on myself; RN for 5yrs with majority of experience in busy inner city Trauma Centers, also a year of ICU/PICU experience at the beginning of my career. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Marc

#2 MSDeltaFlt

MSDeltaFlt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

In a couple of weeks I'll be testing/interviewing for one of the larger HEMS, curious what the test might entail/degree of difficulty. The Program Director for the service suggested I study a National Registry Paramedic test prep book, I've been using Success for the Paramedic by Richard A. Cherry, any thoughts? Brief background on myself; RN for 5yrs with majority of experience in busy inner city Trauma Centers, also a year of ICU/PICU experience at the beginning of my career. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Marc

It's obvious with whom you're interviewing. What they're going to test for is to make sure you've got a strong foundation as a nurse and a paramedic. They'll teach you flight after you're hired so don't sweat that. Study National Registry, ACLS (to the letter), PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and don't forget all of your nursing knowledge, skills, and experience. They'll also be interviewing you to check your decision making skills. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Be honest. Be you. They work 24hr shifts so they're also interviewing for a room. Interpersonal dynamics is something no one can quantify. It's a mix to see if your personality fuses well with the others. I know those who get pissed when they pass the tests and yet don't get hired. Good luck.
Mike Hester, RRT/NRP/FP-C
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear -- Mark Twain