• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dragonflyz

dragonflyz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

The FW air ambulance company I work for is looking to make some scheduling changes. I am looking for some possible suggestions for successful schedules that seem to keep everyone happy. Currently, our crews don't really get enough 'scheduled time off'. They are on call 24-7 with crews rotating from 1st out, 2nd out, etc.., so they never really know where they will from one day to the next in rotation, making it pretty difficult to make any plans. If they want to be off of the schedule for a day, they have to put in for the day off 30 days in advance. This again makes it almost impossible to make last minute plans. So the company is looking to create more accommodating schedules. Due to the length of some of our flights, (upwards to 14 hours round trip), it is not possible to do 12 hour rotations. We were thinking 24 hour shifts, with 48 off like the fire dept, even possibly with a 'kelly day' allowing for 5 days off in a row every month. We considered breaking up the times that crews worked.. some 7a to 7a the next morning, and others from 19:00 to 19:00 the next day, so that there was constant rotation and coverage. It is all in the infantile stages of creation, so insightful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

The FW air ambulance company I work for is looking to make some scheduling changes. I am looking for some possible suggestions for successful schedules that seem to keep everyone happy. Currently, our crews don't really get enough 'scheduled time off'. They are on call 24-7 with crews rotating from 1st out, 2nd out, etc.., so they never really know where they will from one day to the next in rotation, making it pretty difficult to make any plans. If they want to be off of the schedule for a day, they have to put in for the day off 30 days in advance. This again makes it almost impossible to make last minute plans. So the company is looking to create more accommodating schedules. Due to the length of some of our flights, (upwards to 14 hours round trip), it is not possible to do 12 hour rotations. We were thinking 24 hour shifts, with 48 off like the fire dept, even possibly with a 'kelly day' allowing for 5 days off in a row every month. We considered breaking up the times that crews worked.. some 7a to 7a the next morning, and others from 19:00 to 19:00 the next day, so that there was constant rotation and coverage. It is all in the infantile stages of creation, so insightful suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I have worked for 2 FW programs in the past, and both did 7 on 7 off and 14 on 14 off depending on the base location. We were on 24-7 during those times obviously, but we had a strict time out policy in place to meet CAMTS criteria and get around the 24hr limit. It worked well for everyone.

Sounds like your current schedule is a cluster and grossly inefficient at best........Who came up with the current schedule...?

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

how any layers in the call ladder? We had a 4 level on call system with a "reserve" level for sick etc coverage, 5x24/3 days off with 2 tours off a year for holidays. Worked well. (D/N 12's as: 1/4, 2/3, 3/2, 4/1, 5, 0, 0, 0)
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#4 FlyingPenguin

FlyingPenguin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Have worked many different ones, I can say that 7 days on / 7 days off is by far my favorite. It just makes scheduling recert classes, doctor's appointments and family functions a lot easier if I know when I will be off without looking at a calendar and hoping it won't get switched. Yes, you can get your butt kicked sometimes working a big stretch like that, but the freedom to work part-time or go to school during your week off is wonderful. We weren't busy enough to have a 'rotation' schedule but I imagine having one would help make sure everyone got the proper rest.

#5 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:13 AM

We work a couple different schedules at my base: 24on 24off 24on 3 days off or 48on 96off. We aren't that busy. It works well and have a well established crm/amram etc... and can call out of service in 4 hour blocks for different reasons.

Good Luck,

Matt