• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cparker

cparker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Ever since I graduated nursing school I've wanted to work in flight nursing. I'm coming up on 5 years of experience (mostly travel assignments) including ICU, NICU, CCU and PACU. I'm ACLS and BLS certified. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction of what certifications I still need to meet flight nursing requirements. Also, is my experience enough, and if not, what areas or length of time do you guys recommend? Thank you in advance for any input.

-Chris

#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Ever since I graduated nursing school I've wanted to work in flight nursing. I'm coming up on 5 years of experience (mostly travel assignments) including ICU, NICU, CCU and PACU. I'm ACLS and BLS certified. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction of what certifications I still need to meet flight nursing requirements. Also, is my experience enough, and if not, what areas or length of time do you guys recommend? Thank you in advance for any input.

-Chris

Chris,

Couple of things.

1. Do a search of the forums, there are many previous threads on this exact subject with excellent information in them. You will find all your questions answered.

2. There is no such thing as being CERTIFIED in ACLS or BLS, those cards only show you met the minimum requirements for knowledge level.

3. You should have taken NRP being in the NICU?

The things you have to ask yourself are you comfortable with Vent management on your own, blood gases interpretation on your own, balloon pumps, scene work, etc..........Maybe you can detail a little more as to what exactly your travel assignments consisted of, length of time, acuity, etc....

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:27 AM

I strongly feel that flight nurses should have an EMS background (EMT at minimum). I am a flight nurse and feel that my EMS background prepared me better for the aspects of "flight" nursing than my ICU did. The ICU was what taught me the critical care side (vents, ABG's, patho, etc.). But my EMS gave me a great foundation to build upon. Be the nurse in the ICU that asks a lot of questions. Seek out the sickest patients and study their case (if approved due to HIPPA). No great flight nurse has just done the minimums. Take on the passion to learn and you will excel. I had the same dream and was able to land my first job with just 3 years as an RN. But I never let a question go unanswered and studied all the time for "fun." Get the alphabet soup (TNCC, AMLS, PALS, NRP, CCRN, CFRN, CEN). They will make you stand out on paper. Thats what it takes first to even land an interview. Good luck!