• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 viking563

viking563

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for books to broaden one's knowledge.

I've all my the textbooks from my cert class(BLS, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, etc.) as well as a few others. I don't have time to attend a bunch of classes/seminars, so reading various books is an easy way for to my further knowledge base.

I am basically looking for book suggestions that broaden my overall paramedic knowledge base and not necessarily CCT knowledge.

My professional background is as a paramedic in both a fire based 911 system as well as private 911, ALS/BLS(non CCT) interfacility.

I appreciate your time, assistance and feedback.

#2 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:32 AM

If you don't have much of a science background (undergrad level courses in chem and bio) I'd find a good critical care nursing text, or honestly, even a med-surg nursing text will have lots of pharm and physiology that you didn't get in paramedic school. If your only background is EMS, don't feel you are "above" a med-surg text.....

If you do have a decent science background or are feeling really motivated, find a basic pharmacology text and a physiology text and start there. Principles of Pharmacology by Golan and Textbook of Medical Physiology by Guyton & Hall are good ones. Just be warned, they are a little heavy unless you've taken some bio or chem courses.

Manual of Emergency Airway Management by Walls is one of my all-time favorite clinical texts, and is required reading for every paramedic IMO.

Emergency Medicine by Tintinalli and Basics of Anesthesia by Miller are good ones too, once you really feel you've mastered the basics of paramedicine. The anesthesia text has lots of good phys, pharm, and general resuscitation / airway management stuff, though it's obviously oriented to the OR environment.
bring it in for the real thing