#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

http://www.ainonline...WuGRlE.facebook

Great article for those of us who fly approaches.......

One thing the article did not mention is, when this approach was designed back in 1990, those trees were MUCH shorter than they were when the accident happened.........Sounds like the locals knew to fly the director a little higher than published.......Great job by the pilots to avoid a fatal accident. Even better job for him to take on his FSDO and show them the errors in the approach....

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 Speed

Speed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Great article for those of us who fly approaches.......

One thing the article did not mention is, when this approach was designed back in 1990, those trees were MUCH shorter than they were when the accident happened.........Sounds like the locals knew to fly the director a little higher than published.......Great job by the pilots to avoid a fatal accident. Even better job for him to take on his FSDO and show them the errors in the approach....

JW

I'm immediatly reminded of a debate we had quite some time ago, where one of my points was this very matter and the inherent risks of flying SPIFR versus VFR or ground txport only versus realistically and honestly shooting for the "vision zero", well that was in the past...glad to see you understand now...Ok, and that was jokingly sarcastic BTW. Actually it might not have even been you that was pushing my buttons, but if I remember right? Anyway, in the past.
Mike Williams CCEMT-P/FP-C

#4 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm immediatly reminded of a debate we had quite some time ago, where one of my points was this very matter and the inherent risks of flying SPIFR versus VFR or ground txport only versus realistically and honestly shooting for the "vision zero", well that was in the past...glad to see you understand now...Ok, and that was jokingly sarcastic BTW. Actually it might not have even been you that was pushing my buttons, but if I remember right? Anyway, in the past.

Hey man,

Not sure that was me, as, I can usually remember a good debate like that, especially when talking about something aviation related. If you can find that old debate, please send me the link, I have no problem standing corrected!

Anyways, I would say from my pilot's perspective, this case is clearly an outlier, but, I would agree that two pilots is ALWAYS better than one while flying IFR. SPIFR can be done safely, but it requires a high level of proficiency, and HEMS operators have proven time and time again, most are just not willing to put in the financial resources to allow their pilots to reach that level of proficiency needed.......

I know when I have not flown any approaches in a while, regardless if they are RNAV, ILS, VOR, etc........I can tell I am rusty and a bit behind the aircraft if I am hand flying the approach and not coupled with the autopilot and letting it fly the entire approach.......

Excellent article.....

JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs