3 replies to this topic

#1 AngryBronco

AngryBronco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Greetings,

I am looking for input on the composition of Safety Committee membership. My organization is looking to reorganize and we are curious how other safety committees of similar size have handled the problems of distance and representation between management and non-management personnel. We currently have over 10 bases including rotor, fixed wind and ground ambulances across 3 states. Current committee meetings are held once per month and address direct or anonymous safety concerns.

Any idea of how similar sized organizations handle the challenges of size and geographical distance are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Greetings,

I am looking for input on the composition of Safety Committee membership. My organization is looking to reorganize and we are curious how other safety committees of similar size have handled the problems of distance and representation between management and non-management personnel. We currently have over 10 bases including rotor, fixed wind and ground ambulances across 3 states. Current committee meetings are held once per month and address direct or anonymous safety concerns.

Any idea of how similar sized organizations handle the challenges of size and geographical distance are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Have found that an on-line chat forum with dialup conference telephone calls works OK. Membership gets to be an isue. Two reps per base plus 1-3 (depending on total numbers) for HQ works well BUT need to also proportionally represent each discipline, so no heavy loading from HQ (Office/Admin, Mgmt, Dispatch, Maint, Logistics, Billing). Gets trickey to maintain discipline balance. The 2 per base is 'cause of shift work vs M-F HQ staff. Each base gets only one vote at any meeting (HQ votes depend on their population with respect to a bases's complement) and chairmanship should be voted on or random pick ie: NOT the ops manager's etc choice. And try holding meetings at random times and days - why not a Saturday 1800 or a Tuesday 0330... It's a 24/7 operation not a M-F 9-4 one...
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#3 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

We use "go to meeting"

You can call in or view on your computer (with VOIP; Voice Over Internet Provider)

When you call, you have an access number that allows you to enter the meeting, basically it's like a conference call.

On your personal computer there is a link provided, click on the link and it opens to the meeting.
When on your personal computer you can see the material being presented, either by webcam or having the host computer's screen viewable on yours. I believe you can take control over the host computer mouse remotely, but not sure how to do it.

On the host computers screen it will show all the personnel that are either, on line or on the phone..... I like it because it give you more options than in the past.

There is also a "go to webinar" that you might look into as well...........

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#4 Scott S.

Scott S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

Bronco,
WOW, you guys really are spread out. The only comments I have are: 1) Video conference calling is a good way to get everyone together. 2) Is a monthly meeting really necessary? That seems kinda often. Our safety committee meets once per quarter per state statute and we are not over whelmed with a ton of work, meeting on that time line. With of course, a mechanism in place for an emergency safety issue investigation/ discussion/ addressing. 3) Our state statute specifically states that management cannot be a part of the committee so as to not have any biased influences into discussing or investigating a safety related incident or matter. 4) I agree with having a balance of team membersí disciplines on the committee. I mean, do not have to have a Pilot, Flight Nurse, mechanic and Flight Paramedic from each base but have a balance of your staff for the total committee make up. 5) Look at your state EMS statues, they will most likely have standards for a flight program safety committee. 6) Have an easy mechanism in place for reporting an incident. We have a link on our programs home web page for reporting a safety concern, that takes them to a form to fill out and submit electronically and it gets automatically mailed to the safety committee chairman and co chairman for handling, file for next meeting, immediate safety concern, etc....
I hope this helps out some. Feel free to email me if I can help out.
Scott S.