#1 vtach1010

vtach1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Greetings all
I have a question in how people are managing their requirements for CAMTS in regards to the continuing clinical competency. I went through the forums to see if this was discussed before but did not come up with anything in the search. In the past we have done the clinical rotations in the ICU, PICU, NICU and ER. We are running into problems with more and more hospitals being reluctant to allow clinical rotations sighting HIPAA concerns since we are not hospital staff directly involved in patient care. In turn these clinical rotations have become less useful from a learning perspective for the flight crews which should be the whole reason for them
I know that some programs utilize a tracking system to monitor patient contacts either by time with a specific type of patient of just specific patient type contacts without tracking the time. Is anyone able or willing to share how they take care of meeting the clinical requirements either through patient contact logs or other educational opportunities and how you received CAMTS approval for the program
Thanks

#2 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Your management needs to challenge theirs on the HIPAA argument - it is total BS. Liability = maybe (but that can be solved with a training contract) but HIPAA? no fracking way does that legislation have ANY bearing on having you in to do rotations. In fact, education is SPECIFICALLY exempeted from HIPAA...
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#3 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Your management needs to challenge theirs on the HIPAA argument - it is total BS. Liability = maybe (but that can be solved with a training contract) but HIPAA? no fracking way does that legislation have ANY bearing on having you in to do rotations. In fact, education is SPECIFICALLY exempeted from HIPAA...

As far as HIPAA is concerned, you should only have to do a short module and/or sign a form attesting that you understand and will abide by the HIPAA statutes, which is very reasonable. All hospital employees have to do some form of HIPAA annual education, so this would be no different. This should satisfy any requirement of meeting HIPAA standards on their part.

As far as the usefulness of the ICU rotation, it is what you make it. If a flight crew member just stands around and doesn't engage, then it won't be much of a learning opportunity. If they engage with the staff or attend rounds, then there's a definite learning opportunity.

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#4 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

If a place uses HIPPA as a reason for not letting you do clinical, I think it's probably a good bet that they AREN'T actually ignorant about the law, but rather are using is as a convenient excuse because they don't want you there for other reasons.

As far as the usefulness of the ICU rotation, it is what you make it. If a flight crew member just stands around and doesn't engage, then it won't be much of a learning opportunity. If they engage with the staff or attend rounds, then there's a definite learning opportunity.

Following the ICU teams on rounds would be excellent.

But every time ive done clinical, whether as a paramedic student or flight crew member trying to satisfy CAMTS requirements, I was pretty much just shown the door to the unit and left there on my own.

It's easy to say "you just need to engage" but when you don't know anyone or where anything is or who is who, and no one seems interested in having you there or making you feel welcome, that's easier so than done.
bring it in for the real thing

#5 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

It's easy to say "you just need to engage" but when you don't know anyone or where anything is or who is who, and no one seems interested in having you there or making you feel welcome, that's easier so than done.

Easier said than done, rather
bring it in for the real thing

#6 vtach1010

vtach1010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I agree that rotations are what you make of them but if the system is made difficult to access and not designed for education from the hospital side even when we try and make an effort it leads me back to my original question of “What else are people doing that may be of a more educational benefit”? There is another program in our area that is having the same issues with rotations at the referral hospital in the area and while not part of the hospital they have an aircraft stationed there with their own pad so I know we are not alone in this.
So are people just trying to get by on clinical rotations or are people trying other ideas for expanded knowledge? I could see perhaps being able to substitute something like a STABLE class for a NICU rotation as it would be more relevant to what we do as our company does not transport premies. We do assist in transporting NICU teams but that is just a few bases leaving the rest of out of any associated experience.