3 replies to this topic

#1 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I would like to purchase a LOT of battery powered fingertip pulse oximeters for an ongoing medical mission project i am doing with midwives in north africa....

with respect to neonates, I am not used to anything but the disposable probes...
for various reasons, the disposable probes have a place but may not be optimum...
was looking at the various adult fingertip pulse oximeters and thought I'd solicit advice from the group about using these on neonates...

standing by for your pearls and pitfalls!

(in related news, i will also cheerfully accept ANY donations of equipment... even your used BVMs would be a HUGE help....please contact me off-list)
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#2 medicRT

medicRT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hey there,

I see alot of neonates but shamefully admit that we use the disposable probes exclusively as well with the exception of MRI (too expensive for mass use anyways obviously).

BUT .. I attended a grand rounds recently where the speaker was outlining efforts towards achieving Millennium Development Goals around infant mortality and one of the things that I learned was that they have hand crank powered pulse oximeters that they bundle with a simple BVM and a few other things to make a reusable kit.

Don't know if you have considered these for your purpose ? or even where they can be obtained - in my brief search I could only find info on the planned development of these and not a final product but I believe they are out there.

Best of luck with your development project - attending that rounds was eye opening for sure - when you consider how many resources we put into transport and ICU for a single child while there are others in the world who haven't access to something as simple as a screening oximetry or a few puffs of IPPV at birth.

A.

#3 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

yep. it's amazing what we take for granted. by any chance could you please send any information you DO have from Grand Rounds to sean.smith@critical-care.pro? (The Speaker's name, organization, etc... anything I can use to follow up on what others are doing...)Thanks so MUCH!

#4 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

you...are the BOMB! thanks so much.... have already lined up a couple of major corporate sponsors...looking for leads, guidance and more sponsors.... been doing this sort of thing for over a decade, but never this mission profile.... JUST got your note !!!! THANK YOU!!!!! diving into the interwebs to follow up now....