183 replies to this topic

#181 zav

zav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

Boy this is more like a Monty Python Thread and who has the bigger / education, CV, laryngascope, etc. As Arthur would always say in The Search For the Holy Grail- " It is I, Arthur, son of Uther Pendragon, from the castle of Camelot. King of the Britons, defeater of the Saxons, Sovereign of all England!"

What is awesome about this site is that we have so many highly educated practitioners from all walks of life who practice in so many different fields. The main goal is to provide the most up to date, clinically relevant patient care. We can do this by providing new comers with our different clinical experiences, our educational experiences, and our personal opinions. This is kind of like the like the weekly M&M in the hospital were everyone gathers to critique different cases offering no hold barred comments. Not to personally chastise anyone but so everyone has an opportunity to discuss what people are often to "afraid" to ask in an environment that is nonthreatening and everyone can learn from.

So, I would tell those who come and post for the first time or are new to the site that we ďoften speak our mindĒ that our opinions are often backed by clinical experience and education (studies, clinical journals, etc), but just that. What you need to do it take that information if you care back to your practice / clinical service see if it applies to your particular service. Discuss it with your Medical Director / clinical director after validating your own research on the topic and see if it works for you. However, never take anything that we say personally or professionally.

To our senior members, if we want our tradition to carry forward we need to raise our profession in a professional model. Iím sure youíve all heard the old saying ďnurses eat their young.Ē Unfortunately Iíve seen a few examples as of late of this on our own site. It may not be our intention. However, think about how you were when you first came into the profession- young, willing, and ready to change the world. Please donít take that drive out of someone. Others may come to our site see our posts since they are open for all to see, and think that we are egotistical, etc, etc. Letís lead by example and not by beating each other down in the ways we have been in recent threads (Iím not talking about anyone one, two, or anyone specifically- so no hate emails please.)

Again just my two cents worth.

I've seen your CV Sean, so, I have NO disagreements with you there, the core issue, is, regardless of the " Soft Skills" LOL....Good one BTW......I don't have the time on my hands to sit down and try to explain Inferential Statistics and the applicability to this poorly done study. The bottom line is i was talking about the study itself and regardless of how i addressed the noted deficiencies, the fact remains it was a poorly done study, which, was my whole point in the first place. I've also spent more than a few hours in a neuroscience lab immersed in " Real Conversations"....... B) Junk Science is Junk science no matter who the " Professor" is or how " Real" the conversations are..........

I do appreciate the feedback, and as more time allows in my busy schedule, I will certainly try to provide the resources necessary so others may make an informed opinion which I used to do quite frequently on this forum.

Lastly, i do think there is " POTENTIAL" for the applicability of this hypothesis correlated to humans, however, i STRONGLY disagree with these guys putting together a poorly done study and killing animals in the process..........This is why I am so happy many of the animal labs at the major universities are being shut down.........

Respectfully,
JW

Matthew Zavarella CRNA, NREMT-P, MS, CFRN, CCRN, CEN

You must study to be frank with the world: frankness is the child of honesty and courage. Say just what you mean to do on every occasion, and take it for granted that you mean to do right.
Robert E. Lee

#182 Thinking

Thinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

So, I would tell those who come and post for the first time or are new to the site that we ďoften speak our mindĒ that our opinions are often backed by clinical experience and education (studies, clinical journals, etc), but just that. What you need to do it take that information if you care back to your practice / clinical service see if it applies to your particular service. Discuss it with your Medical Director / clinical director after validating your own research on the topic and see if it works for you. However, never take anything that we say personally or professionally.

To our senior members, if we want our tradition to carry forward we need to raise our profession in a professional model. Iím sure youíve all heard the old saying ďnurses eat their young.Ē Unfortunately Iíve seen a few examples as of late of this on our own site. It may not be our intention. However, think about how you were when you first came into the profession- young, willing, and ready to change the world. Please donít take that drive out of someone. Others may come to our site see our posts since they are open for all to see, and think that we are egotistical, etc, etc. Letís lead by example and not by beating each other down in the ways we have been in recent threads (Iím not talking about anyone one, two, or anyone specifically- so no hate emails please.)

Again just my two cents worth.

+1. There is enough internet douchebraggery on here to put off many folks who would otherwise both be able to contribute and also gain a lot from this forum

#183 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wasn't sure I should resurrect this thread, but it seemed like the most appropriate place to put this: EMCrit debate: VL vs DL

Both physicians make good points, but I think Dr. Weingart's case was much stronger this time (as I did in their previous debate on neuromuscular blockers).

Dr. Mayo pretty much lost me when he said that all intubations in the OR are easy. I'm sure he's a brilliant intensivist, but his worldview of airway management seems pretty narrow.
bring it in for the real thing

#184 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

Wasn't sure I should resurrect this thread, but it seemed like the most appropriate place to put this: EMCrit debate: VL vs DL

Both physicians make good points, but I think Dr. Weingart's case was much stronger this time (as I did in their previous debate on neuromuscular blockers).

Dr. Mayo pretty much lost me when he said that all intubations in the OR are easy. I'm sure he's a brilliant intensivist, but his worldview of airway management seems pretty narrow.

Thanks for resurecting this. The latest EMRAP podcast just had Dr. Braude interview Dr. Minh Le Cong from RFDS of Australia about following up a previous interview with Dr. Walls and the discussion about DL vs VL. Man Mihn nailed this one. He brings up some great points with some good Pearls. I wish I could share it, but it's a paid for podscast and I don't know how to put it on here. Damn good stuff though.

Matt