• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#41 Matt_USN

Matt_USN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

Digging this thread up from the depths! Quite some time later, and I am going strong as a RT at a large naval hospital. I spend most of my time in the NICU, and the rest of my shifts split here and there between PICU and adult ICU. I will be taking my RRT exam next month (finally...long boring story on why it took so long). I'm NRP certified, and scheduled for PALS and ACLS later this year. What that means to me is that my plan I set for myself "so long ago" is coming to fruition - I am learning every single day, continually pushing myself and milking every resource I have available to me. I still have a long way to go, but progress is good. I've been studying for my NPS add-on for quite some time. I'd like to become a NRP instructor - I've seen what a well-educated team can do when things go bad, and I'd like to help keep that going. My book-knowledge is being enhanced with plenty of hands-on experience (which is where the book material really sticks with me). I am lucky beyond imagination that things worked out the way they did!

I still very much want to get into HEMS, and will likely attempt to do so after my enlistment ends in another three years. I maintain the realistic expectation that four years of ICU experience may not be enough to make me competitive, but it won't stop me from trying and worst case I'll happily continue getting experience in an ICU somewhere. NICU is very much my passion, but I'm not forgetting the adults as I realize I will be taking care of all ages.

Love reading the case studies here - I'd like to see them continue! Coming to this site continues to be a great motivator - the knowledge and passion for patient care here is a breath of fresh air. Keep up all of your great work, and safe flying!