• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NeoPedRN

NeoPedRN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

I am wondering what the orientation process involves for the programs you work for? How long is it, do you require a particular number of transports/procedures, in which units do the orientees orient, etc. If anyone has a checklist they can share, that would be wonderful!
We are a combined neo/peds rotor wing/ground team with the majority of our nurses coming from the NICU or PICU without EMS experience.

Thanks for your input!

#2 MSDeltaFlt

MSDeltaFlt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:19 PM

I am wondering what the orientation process involves for the programs you work for? How long is it, do you require a particular number of transports/procedures, in which units do the orientees orient, etc. If anyone has a checklist they can share, that would be wonderful!
We are a combined neo/peds rotor wing/ground team with the majority of our nurses coming from the NICU or PICU without EMS experience.

Thanks for your input!

The RW company I used to fly with had a checklist that was (hopefully still is) rather fluid. If the orientee needed more orientation, he/she/it stayed on orientation until everybody was ready for them to come off orientation.
Mike Hester, RRT/NRP/FP-C
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear -- Mark Twain

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

No minimum number of transports, but you do lots because while you are orienting you pretty much end up going along on every RW, FW, and ground transport that comes up while you are around. It lasts 90 days, or until your preceptor and the medical director both agree that you are ready to come off. You rotate through adult and peds ED, as well as OR, PICU, and cardiac and surgical-trauma ICU's. Also do simulation labs and invasive skills labs, and ventilator lab and lecture with the RRT's. It culminates with a written protocol exam and an oral board / skills demonstration with the medical director.

Or at least that's how it used to be - I think its changed a little bit.
bring it in for the real thing

#4 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for your input!

We have an 8 phase orientation program that starts with program history and includes aviation safety, A&P, pharmacology, med math, hemodynamic monitoring, flight physiology and ends with a patient care guideline test. Each phase has coursework that involves independent study as well as time with the preceptor and ends with a written exam. Pedi and Adult ICUs, pedi and adult OR, and ED time. Lots of simulator work and skills verification. We do about two thirds scene and one third transfer, including pedi, neo and IABP. All RNs are also EMT-Ps.
Wes Seale
Houston , TX