24 replies to this topic

#21 scottyb

scottyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Now now folks: Im the cynical scoundrel here lets not get off on tangents about Corpsmen when the Army is already providing us plenty of good material to be critical and/or supportive of.

For example: Knowing the mindset of the average 68W combat medic, how are they going to pass an exam like FP-C if that is required to be a flight medic? (If this becomes a requirement) Will the IFPA creat a dumbed down military version of their exam? The financial incentive is there to water down a hard test just to get military flight medics through if the government is paying.....

We are getting off track here concerning the true role of the Army flight medic, as Navy RN made reference to in his/her post...WARTIME COMBAT CASUALTY CARE.

Paramedic training as base level knowledge for the Army flight medic? ....Absolutely. Great idea. Critical care training/FP-C exam? Not practical, and not needed.
Scott Bild RN, FP-C

#22 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

We carry (I am an instructor for both the Army and Navy ERC courses and am currently serving with a unit overseas) different drugs (paralytics, anesthetics, etc) and ventilator management that are not in the scope of practice of a Flight medic.

I assume you mean of the Army or Navy flight medics. 'cause they are definitely within the scope of civilian flight medics - and I was using them back as far as '95 (and '91 on CCT ground).
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#23 Dustoff1259

Dustoff1259

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

NavyRN: I know you are proud of your work. Don't get wrapped around the axle over your misunderstandings. It is silly that the Army has not done a better job of training flight medics to allow them to practice at YOUR LEVEL. This is a system problem that is being addressed only after a decade of war....

Despite any disagreement we might have here, I have a personal respect for you and what you are doing. Thank you for your service.

Dustoff 1259

#24 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

It is silly that the Army has not done a better job of training flight medics to allow them to practice at YOUR LEVEL. This is a system problem that is being addressed only after a decade of war....

I think that might be better worded as: "It is silly that the Army has not done a better job of training flight medics to allow them to practice at YOUR LEVEL. This is a system problem that is being addressed AFTER ONLY a decade of war....

Fast pace for the green machine...
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#25 Dustoff1259

Dustoff1259

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Macgyver: I'll take the hit on grammar. The message is the same. Thank you for the time it took to post that.