• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kidmedic

kidmedic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

I'd be interested in hearing how other programs use ETCO2 monitoring in the neonatal and micro premie populations. Some have expressed the view that in line ETCO2 monitoring creates excessive dead space in the circuit and thus they advocate transcutaneous CO2 monitoring as an alternative. I was wondering what other systems are doing and if there is evidence supporting one option over the other. Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.

#2 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:48 AM

i have an excellent discussion of this somewhere... but not at my fingertips... if you don't get answers by the weekend, PM me to remind me and i will try and dig it up....
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#3 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

Depends on the system used - there are neo (low deadspace) sensors etc - or can do spot checks or ABG's if you are only trending.
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#4 Grouse

Grouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:00 AM

We use Capnography during neonatal transports..... The Microstream technology from Oridian is extremely reliable and well suited for neonatal and pediatric transports. We don't worry about adding "deadspace" to the vent circuit. There's other equipment that adds dead space such as Ballard devices. Surprisingly, our NICU doesn't use Capnography though I know others that do use it routinely. It's great for monitoring tube placement and "physiological" changes during transport.