• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MNflightmed

MNflightmed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

As we are expanding our protocols/practice at our service we will be carrying O-negative blood on our aircraft. We are trying to research indications for the administration of
O-neg from services around the country. For all of you who carry O-neg units, what are your indications for administration?

Thanks for the help!

Fly Safe.

#2 Sue

Sue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

As we are expanding our protocols/practice at our service we will be carrying O-negative blood on our aircraft. We are trying to research indications for the administration of
O-neg from services around the country. For all of you who carry O-neg units, what are your indications for administration?

Thanks for the help!

Fly Safe.

MNflightmed,

E-mail me at suziqfly@yahoo.com. I can give you some of the info you may be looking for.

Sue

Sue Toberman, RN

#3 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the help!

Fly Safe.

I'll email you our protocol if you get ahold of me at ab9302@gmail.com
bring it in for the real thing

#4 Squint

Squint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

The Criteria is Hypotension as a result of Hypovolemia in my hood.
We do not have bedside capability of stat HGB or HCT .

#5 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:52 AM

The Criteria is Hypotension as a result of Hypovolemia in my hood.
We do not have bedside capability of stat HGB or HCT .

Not everyone who has hypotension from hypovolemia needs blood...know what I mean?

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#6 Squint

Squint

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Not everyone who has hypotension from hypovolemia needs blood...know what I mean?

Brian

No I do not follow unless your speaking upper and lowere GI losses or burns or dehydration (they are fairly obvious) ... what am I missing the JW in the crowd ?

Withholding O neg in a situation where hypotension from hypovolemia exists and when one cannot do Hct or Hgb may too become a problem .

cheers

#7 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:17 AM

No I do not follow unless your speaking upper and lowere GI losses or burns or dehydration (they are fairly obvious) ... what am I missing the JW in the crowd ?

Withholding O neg in a situation where hypotension from hypovolemia exists and when one cannot do Hct or Hgb may too become a problem .

cheers

Just because they are hypotensive from hypovolemia doesn't mean they are losing blood. I think that's what Brian is saying. I think you are missing the point from the OP. Maybe I'm wrong...

Matt

#8 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:42 AM

cheers

Well, you didn't define hypovolemia. Hypovolemia occurs from many different etiologies, which as you said is obvious. So what you posted was partially what I was saying.

Withholding blood transfusion may become a problem when there is evidence of ongoing blood loss. The ATLS standard is to give 2 liters of crystalloid before considering blood transfusion in trauma patients. The reason is that you may correct the hypotension without the need to transfuse. There are significant risks to transfusing (proinflammatory, immunosuppressive, risk of transfusion reaction, etc) and most healthy patients can tolerate anemias down to a Hb in the7g/dl range without the need for transfusion if there is no sign of hypoperfusion and no history of ischemic cardiac disease.

And, yes....you may not have an ISTAT machine to run a POC Hb. My answer to that is to treat the patient and not the Hb number.

So it's not as simple transfusing for hypotension from hypovolemia.

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN