No replies to this topic

#1 Mike22

Mike22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Hi all,

I'm a product design student at Leeds University, UK. For my graduation project I'm doing a paediatric transfer device for back transfers and other scenario's where the patient is more stable, allowing the patient to travel in a hospital car/patient transport vehicle/doctors emergency car etc. It would be used when ambulance transfer resources are not available/needed.

Before I start designing, I need to find out the following information:

1 - Roughly what percentage of all paediatric transfers involve the patient being very stable and at low risk? (IE back transfers or transfers to other facilities within the same hospital - basically any time a BabyPod might be used).

2 - What the scenario is surrounding back transfer - what stabilising drugs and equipment are carried, how they are carried with the patient during transfer and how they administered. How changes in the infants age/weight affects the drugs/dosages administered. Any risks involved in the transfer.

3 - Oxygen tanks - What sizes are used, would a size C tank be sufficient for journeys based on the infants breathing rate?

4 - What other equipment would be needed? How many syringe drivers? Ventilator to mix oxygen? suction?

5 - Any issues experienced with the BabyPod - patient access, re-intubation on the go... How might the product be improved?

6 - If anyone has experience with air transport, how is the sledge locked into place inside the aircraft? What's the most common method?

If anyone has any replies they'll be much appreciated and will certainly help my degree project!

Regards, Mike