• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KidFixer

KidFixer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

Just wondering who here has taken the C-NPT exam, and if so, any suggestions on study material for preparing?

Thanks.
The story you are about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect...my ass from litigation!!

#2 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

sir, you have mail.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#3 St Fuz

St Fuz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

• Air & Surface Patient Transport Principles and Practice, Holleran, Renee, Mosby, St. Louis, 2003
• Air and Ground Transport of Neonatal and Pediatric Patients, Woodward, et al., AAP, Illinois, 2007
• Core Curriculum for Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing, Verklan, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2009
• Core Curriculum for Pediatric Critical Care Nursing, Slotga, AACN, Saunders, Philadlephia, 2006
• Neonatal Resusictation Textbook, AHA, AAP, 2006
• PALS, Aehlert, Barbara, Mosby, St. Louis, 2007
• Handbook of Pediatric and Neonatal Transport Medicine
• Textbook of Pediatric Transport Medicine
• The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program Learner Manual
• The S.T.A.B.L.E. – Cardiac Module Learner Manual

These were a start for me. Fortunately we had a NNP who sits on the board and she gave me a heads up about a year in advance so I started hitting the books a lot earlier. It is quite a test. Not one to be taken lightly. If you have the Kettering Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty Home Study Program for the RT NPS examination that one is a good resource as well. Again it is an awesome examination for those of us that aren't quite wanting to take the FP-C, CFRN, or CCP-C.

It has been a little over a year since I sat for it so my memory is not that great as far as what was on the exam. Good luck in your preperations.

Fuz

#4 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

i would add hazinski and merenstein to Fuz's pretty darned good list... also, if you already own it, or are planning on buying it for another cert, WW does a brief but clear, concise job on basic congenital cardiac lesions in ACE-SAT....

also, you can't go wrong looking at the AACN neonatal CCRN practice exams... at lot of the material is irrelevant for the C-NPT, however, you might be surprised.... it's inexpensive and not only did I use it(and find it very useful), BUT, I also had a very well known pediatric-neonatal flight nurse who piloted the C-NPT tell me that he/she thought the exam was "too CCRNish..."

already PMed KF, but everyone feel free to contact me off-line for resources, etc... i recently helped write a review text that covered a lot of this material....

#5 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:09 AM

Just wondering who here has taken the C-NPT exam, and if so, any suggestions on study material for preparing?

Thanks.

We have around 12 crew members who have their C-NPT and the texts listed are all good study material.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#6 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:29 AM

oh yeah....also have/used the following "big picture" texts

APLS
Harriet Lane
PFCCS

#7 medicRT

medicRT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

I recently (last month) qualified and reviewed and concur with parts of the list below (thanks guys !).

As a Canadian, I also had to learn about US concepts like EMTALA laws etc. but that was easy enough to do from the internet.

Air & Surface Patient Transport Principles and Practice, Holleran, Renee, Mosby, St. Louis, 2003
Air and Ground Transport of Neonatal and Pediatric Patients, Woodward, et al., AAP, Illinois, 2007
Core Curriculum for Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing, Verklan, Saunders, Philadelphia, 2009
Core Curriculum for Pediatric Critical Care Nursing, Slotga, AACN, Saunders, Philadlephia, 2006
Neonatal Resusictation Textbook, AHA, AAP, 2006
PALS, Aehlert, Barbara, Mosby, St. Louis, 2007
Handbook of Pediatric and Neonatal Transport Medicine
Textbook of Pediatric Transport Medicine
The S.T.A.B.L.E. Program Learner Manual
The S.T.A.B.L.E. Cardiac Module Learner Manual

These were a start for me. Fortunately we had a NNP who sits on the board and she gave me a heads up about a year in advance so I started hitting the books a lot earlier. It is quite a test. Not one to be taken lightly. If you have the Kettering Neonatal/Pediatric Specialty Home Study Program for the RT NPS examination that one is a good resource as well. Again it is an awesome examination for those of us that aren't quite wanting to take the FP-C, CFRN, or CCP-C.

It has been a little over a year since I sat for it so my memory is not that great as far as what was on the exam. Good luck in your preperations.

Fuz

#8 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:59 AM

UMBC's PNCCT material aint half bad either.... B)
many others... wrapping up a section by section resource list for an upcoming review course....

#9 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

also... apologies for not mentioning it, but of course, Rogelet & Brorsen Neonatal Certification Review for the CCRN and RNC High-Risk Examinations

#10 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Just signed up to take my C-NPT exam. Curious from all the RRT (or anyone for that matter!) what to expect. I have had my NPS since 2004 and have worked in the neo/peds field for 11 years. Any suggestions for specific things to focus on coming from an RRT background? Thanks!

#11 kidsrrtnps

kidsrrtnps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Passed the exam a few weeks ago. Was pretty proud I got "strong" in all categories when I received my letter in the mail. Does anyone know how many CEUs the test is worth?

#12 R. Hedge RRT

R. Hedge RRT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

Passed mine about a month ago. Pretty difficult and diverse exam. 

Robert Hedge, RRT, C-NPT

Neo/ Peds Team - Carilion Clinic Children's Hospital
Roanoke, Va