102 replies to this topic

#1 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

okay folks....after multiple pokes with a sharp stick from various and sundry individuals, i am getting off my lazy duff....thought i'd cook up a little something from scratch that incorporates potential test items from multiple certification exams...emphasize a few take home points you might want to be familiar with....don't ask me how i know.....B)

i am posting a teaser message now.... start boning up on your toco, HROB-emergencies, and VLBW infants.... ;-) ..... all you have to do is select "Watch This Topic" and then, "Immediate Email Notification"... when i post the case, you'll be the first to know.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#2 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

boning up on those bitty babies? don't forget mama! toco anyone? ;)

#3 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

Hey SGS, feel like rolling this one out soon? Be happy to contribute where I can. Hope all is well in your whirlwind of activities.
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#4 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:28 AM

vamos a ver jefe... already sketched out...been that way for 4 months... just teaching/flying my butt off... things should cool down mid-april... hope all is well with you and yours....

#5 flightnurse10

flightnurse10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:26 AM

Sean, Can't wait for this topic! definatly looking forward to gaining a wealth of knowledge!! hope all is well

#6 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:06 AM

vamos a ver jefe... already sketched out...been that way for 4 months... just teaching/flying my butt off... things should cool down mid-april... hope all is well with you and yours....

Hope you are enjoying your time in the great Southwest. Guessing that is where you are these days. Any lay-overs in the Houston area? Blasting my way through mid-terms here. My bride and kiddo are both doing well. Wishing you, your mrs and furry children well.
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#7 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

thanks folks...my apologies for the delays..... i very much appreciate the votes of confidence and well wishes...i felt the last scenario suffered from me having too many irons in the fire and dragging it out too long... for me, it's all about trying to offer y'all a quality experience, so looking for a little breathing room before i launch it, so i can give you the attention you deserve... I'm just teaching an awful lot here lately outside of flying..... mid april should do the trick... (and yeppers, Wes... i DO layover in your neck of the woods from time to time and the thought has not dropped off my radar... very glad to hear all is well with your lovely lady and the spawn... good luck on mid terms!)

#8 old school

old school

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:14 AM

i love tacos B)
bring it in for the real thing

#9 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:23 AM

thanks folks...my apologies for the delays..... i very much appreciate the votes of confidence and well wishes...i felt the last scenario suffered from me having too many irons in the fire and dragging it out too long... for me, it's all about trying to offer y'all a quality experience, so looking for a little breathing room before i launch it, so i can give you the attention you deserve... I'm just teaching an awful lot here lately outside of flying..... mid april should do the trick... (and yeppers, Wes... i DO layover in your neck of the woods from time to time and the thought has not dropped off my radar... very glad to hear all is well with your lovely lady and the spawn... good luck on mid terms!)

Thanks you! Less than 24 hrs after I read this post I got a HROB sickie to transport/fly for 3 hrs... What are you sending me on next? :)
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#10 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

Bump. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Pssst. Hey Sean. Going through some case presentation withrawl here. :D :lol: :P :) B)
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#11 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

thank you for the vote of confidence....busy week. hope to hit this soon...basically been done for literally months, just need to sit down and stringently cross "T"s and dot "I"s...from beginning to end....

#12 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

polyhydramnios, anyone? B)

#13 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:35 AM

polyhydramnios, anyone? B)

Diabetic momma or congenital defect?
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#14 pureadrenalin

pureadrenalin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

I'm going to go with diabetic momma, AND congenital defect...Posted Image I've read enough of these now to know that there are too many zebras.

#15 TexRNmedic

TexRNmedic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:54 AM

I'm going to go with diabetic momma, AND congenital defect...Posted Image I've read enough of these now to know that there are too many zebras.

With uterine tetany and an intact cervical cerclage! Should be a good one once Sean's schedule eases up a bit.
Wes Seale
Houston , TX

#16 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Tuesday......

#17 pureadrenalin

pureadrenalin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

#awesome. Need something to do during the week.

#18 STPEMTP

STPEMTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

anxiously awaiting

#19 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 02:04 AM

Gonna KISS it... ACLS, OB, NRP, etc should keep y'all busy enough....we'll dispense w/ the Toco and VLBW during the case, maybe hit some basic review during the summary. As always, you can have just about anything you ask for...

Dispatch calls for a HROB transport from rural ER - possible imminent delivery. Advanced Maternal Age (43) Migrant Worker with little to no Hx. Known PPMH includes Polyhydramnios, obesity, and NIDDM (noncompliant with diet, exercise, and oral hypoglycemic- was due for f/u to be switched to insulin "soon", but PT presented to ER with sister via POV, stating she thought the baby would come tonight...no OB/GYN currently available to ER and best guess puts patient at 30+ weeks....approximation d/t poor historian and habitus) . G5P4A1

You arrive and find the patient with new onset complaint of 9/10 midsternal pain, malaise, and shortness of breath. VS: HR 110, RR 30 and shallow, BP 155/89, satting 93% on room air. A&O x 4, slightly pale and diaphoretic.....

#20 Sue

Sue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:47 AM

Hello from TN, Sean! As I prepare to renew my CFRN, I thought I would throw out a few ideas here. OB is definitely not my specialty...so forgive my naivete!

Let's start with the simple things we can do. I would put her on 100% O2 for her and her little one. I would want to know what labs, if any, have been assessed including Chemistry, Coags, CBC and maybe a trop. Are we contracting? Are we effaced and or dilated? What is the timing of the contractions? Has our water broke, if so what does it look like? Do we at least have some fetal heart tones?

I would also consider 12-lead ECG and some lead protection for a CXR to see what the mom's lungs and heart (enlarged, possibly?)look like. Also what do mom's lungs and heart tones sound like? Any crackles, rales, murmurs, rubs or gallops? Maybe cardiomegaly, LVH r/t cardiomyopathy?

I shall stop there.

Sue

Sue Toberman, RN