• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RNMEDIC.TP

RNMEDIC.TP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

If you are currently fly an EC145 give me your pros and cons for LOX VS Gaseous system. We are debating getting two 7liter external tanks vs Gaseous system.

Thanks

TP

#2 clearblueskies

clearblueskies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

We currently fly with a Gaseous system that is inside the cabin of our 145. The tank is inside a housing behind the pilots seat and it works ok. I would live to have the LOX system in it because it lasts so much longer. I worked in an old bk117 and it had been retrofitted with the LOX system. Let me tell you .... If you can swing it thats the way to go. The "saddle tanks" are nice and they free up some more room,.
Fly Safe
Jeremy

#3 Reg

Reg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Our basic finding was that the LOX system ended up being lighter in weight for one thing and took up less room. Our LOX system is on the outside of our 145. LOX does vent and will need to be replenished on a weekly basis even if the helicopter just sits there. If your flight volume is two or more trips a day you will not notice this since your volume is so much higher. There are some basic safety factors that you must take into account when using LOX vs. gas but those are not negative to operations. Short answer we like LOX over gas.

#4 SkeeterEC

SkeeterEC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

We use LOX on our 135 and our 2 117's. The 145's that should be here in the next few months will also have LOX. I have never had any issues with it other then the extra space it takes in the 135.

#5 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:13 PM

The 7 liter Ferno tank does vent a large amount as compared to the 10 liter Orb that has been used in many BK's. The shape of the tank has alot to do with this. If you do less than 2 flights/ day you will be probably changing the LoX more often than flying, especially in warmer weather. If you have never had LoX before, make sure you check with your hospital, if applicable on the regulations of keeping a liquid oxygen doer close by and a spare 7 liter tanks for switch out. As others pointed out, LoX is less weight as compared to the gas cylinders. It appears that space will not be an issue either way since it looks like you our mounting the vessels on the exterior. Of course gas system, you will still need to consider having a portable cascade system close by.

#6 Shady2005

Shady2005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

We used the Gaseous tanks in the 412 we used to have and the BK. I can't imagine NOT having LOX now. So much easier. Less weight, less cumbersome, less work. The orb vs. the outer tank can sometimes be challenging, especially if the thing leaks, but I wouldn't think about giving up LOX for Gas.

Now, giving up the blue stretcher for the yellow stretcher, now I'm in for that! :P

#7 Splat

Splat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

LOX is the way to go. We had LOX (the orb) in our old Twin Star and other than the tank venting in the summer, it was great. In our current ship we use gas....if it were up to me, we would go back to LOX.
Brad Brandon, MICP
Chief Flight Paramedic - RS
Kern Co. Sheriff's Office

#8 rghbsn

rghbsn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:36 AM

I am a huge fan of LOX as well. 804 gaseous liters per liter of LOX...can't really beat that.
R. Hector, BSN, RN, CCRN

#9 grussell

grussell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

If you are currently fly an EC145 give me your pros and cons for LOX VS Gaseous system. We are debating getting two 7liter external tanks vs Gaseous system.

Thanks

TP

#10 grussell

grussell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

TP, What did you finally decide on LOX or Gas?

grussell@essexind.com

#11 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

TP, What did you finally decide on LOX or Gas?

grussell@essexind.com

We went with the external gas. We work at the same program.........

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center