19 replies to this topic

#1 Sean the Medic

Sean the Medic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Good day all,

I've just been invited to interview for a flight medic position and I'm curious if anyone who sits on a hiring board would be willing to give me some ideas or pointers for my interview i.e. typical interview questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
coloradofiremedic@gmail.com

#2 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

Good day all,

I've just been invited to interview for a flight medic position and I'm curious if anyone who sits on a hiring board would be willing to give me some ideas or pointers for my interview i.e. typical interview questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
coloradofiremedic@gmail.com

Sean,

Here is what I ask when interviewing people.

1. Please tell me about Sean, who you are as a person, who you want to be, where you come from, etc........ ( This gives me a chance to see if your comfortable speaking about yourself, do the answers come naturally or do you need to search)

2. Scenario question: You are called to the scene of a mass casualty accident on a desolated road in the mountains, there are 6 patients, 2 dead, 3 critical and 1 BLS, your helicopter is the first ALS on scene, the BLS fire volunteers rush a patient to your helicopter before you even get the door open, ( 1 of the 3 critical). They tell you to hurry up and load and go and fly back for the others....What do you do? Do you leave the scene with your patient?

3. What does Sean bring to this company that the other 30 applicants do not?

4. How does a ventilator actually deliver a breath to the patient?

5. Here is a 12 lead EKG, please evaluate the 12 lead, ask any questions you need, and describe your TX plan in detail

6. What are your expectations for this job and how can we make you successful in your job.

7. Describe your greatest asset.

8. Describe your greatest weakness.

9. Have you ever been fired from a job? Why?

10. Have you ever had a disagreement with a co-worker and / or supervisor? How did you resolve the situation? What if you could not resolve it? What additional steps would you take?

11. You have witnessed your flight partner diverting narcotics. What would you do?

12. Do you know anything about aviation?

13. Please describe Boyles Gas Law in detail and how it applies to this job?

14. Scenario question: I hand you a detailed critical care scenario with a patient on a ventilator who is not doing well, I then hand you a set of blood gases, please tell me how you would adjust the vent settings to optimize this patient for transport to the next facility.

15. If i spoke to any of your friends, how would they describe you as a person?

16. Give an example of when you had an unexpected situation happen and how you resolved it.

17. Describe your long term goals and your contingency plan if these goals are not met during this specific time frame.

18. What educational goal have you attained beyond a basic paramedic that make you an attractive candidate for this job?

19. Please tell me everything you know about our company. ( If you have not taken the time to research before your interview, this question will kill you pretty quick)

20. Scenario question: You have just dropped a patient off at the hospital, its 5am, you are off shift at 6am, you have a 20 minute flight back to base, there is major convective activity in the area, but the pilot says if we leave now, we can beat the weather back to base before it goes below minimums....You look up, you see lightning in the distance, you look at your partner who says lets go, but something tells you maybe this isn't such a good idea. How do you resolve your differences?

21. Please describe Daltons Gas Law and how it affects your patient at altitude.

22. What is an ACE inhibitor?

23. Have you worked in a team environment? What were your specific contributions?

24. What do you do to relieve stress?

25. How do you define success?

I have a whole bunch more, but you get the idea. Let me know if you have any other specific questions..

Respectfully,
JW
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#3 Sean the Medic

Sean the Medic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

This is all great information. Thank you so much for the response. Wish me luck!

Sean

#4 Will Wingfield

Will Wingfield

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

Sean,

1. Please tell me about Sean, who you are as a person, who you want to be, where you come from, etc........ ( This gives me a chance to see if your comfortable speaking about yourself, do the answers come naturally or do you need to search)

2. Scenario question: You are called to the scene of a mass casualty accident on a desolated road in the mountains, there are 6 patients, 2 dead, 3 critical and 1 BLS, your helicopter is the first ALS on scene, the BLS fire volunteers rush a patient to your helicopter before you even get the door open, ( 1 of the 3 critical). They tell you to hurry up and load and go and fly back for the others....What do you do? Do you leave the scene with your patient?

5. Here is a 12 lead EKG, please evaluate the 12 lead, ask any questions you need, and describe your TX plan in detail

6. What are your expectations for this job and how can we make you successful in your job.

10. Have you ever had a disagreement with a co-worker and / or supervisor? How did you resolve the situation? What if you could not resolve it? What additional steps would you take?

11. You have witnessed your flight partner diverting narcotics. What would you do?

14. Scenario question: I hand you a detailed critical care scenario with a patient on a ventilator who is not doing well, I then hand you a set of blood gases, please tell me how you would adjust the vent settings to optimize this patient for transport to the next facility.

16. Give an example of when you had an unexpected situation happen and how you resolved it.

17. Describe your long term goals and your contingency plan if these goals are not met during this specific time frame.

18. What educational goal have you attained beyond a basic paramedic that make you an attractive candidate for this job?

19. Please tell me everything you know about our company. ( If you have not taken the time to research before your interview, this question will kill you pretty quick)

20. Scenario question: You have just dropped a patient off at the hospital, its 5am, you are off shift at 6am, you have a 20 minute flight back to base, there is major convective activity in the area, but the pilot says if we leave now, we can beat the weather back to base before it goes below minimums....You look up, you see lightning in the distance, you look at your partner who says lets go, but something tells you maybe this isn't such a good idea. How do you resolve your differences?

21. Please describe Daltons Gas Law and how it affects your patient at altitude.

23. Have you worked in a team environment? What were your specific contributions?

I have a whole bunch more, but you get the idea. Let me know if you have any other specific questions..

Respectfully,
JW

Damn, it was easier to get into CRNA school....

WW
William Wingfield, CRNA, MSNA, FP-C, CFRN
Owner/Educator
The ResQ Shop, LLC

#5 Sean the Medic

Sean the Medic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:22 PM

What about the thread on "How does a ventilator really deliver a breath?" Does anyone know where I might find that post?

#6 Jwade

Jwade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

What about the thread on "How does a ventilator really deliver a breath?" Does anyone know where I might find that post?

Sean,

That thread of which you refer does not contain the answer to the question! If you do not know this type of information, i would suggest finding some vent management books and start reading. I would also send FloridaMedic a private message and I am sure she can email you some great links for studying..

Respectfully,
Jw
John Wade MBA, CCEMT-P, FP-C, RN

"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become" Steve Jobs

#7 FloridaMedic

FloridaMedic

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Sean,

That thread of which you refer does not contain the answer to the question! If you do not know this type of information, i would suggest finding some vent management books and start reading. I would also send FloridaMedic a private message and I am sure she can email you some great links for studying..

Respectfully,
Jw

Start with this link and I'll get back to you later with more.

http://www.ccmtutori...om/rs/index.htm

#8 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:07 PM

what do AMRM and NTSB stand for? relate both to both the industry in general and specifically the job you are applying for.
LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#9 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:10 PM

what is the safety record of the company you are applying to? if it is less than perfect, what process improvement measures were enacted?

#10 IcuCcrn

IcuCcrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:53 AM

what is the safety record of the company you are applying to? if it is less than perfect, what process improvement measures were enacted?

Where can one research the safety record of a particular company????

#11 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Where can one research the safety record of a particular company????

You can start your search here: http://www.ntsb.gov/...on/aviation.htm

The Accident Database & Synopses has a monthly list. It will have every aviation accident fatal or non-fatal, since 1962. It's A LOT of searching, so you maybe able to narrow it down by using the programs name and google it.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#12 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:02 PM

Also the concern network as well...

#13 IcuCcrn

IcuCcrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

You can start your search here: http://www.ntsb.gov/...on/aviation.htm

The Accident Database & Synopses has a monthly list. It will have every aviation accident fatal or non-fatal, since 1962. It's A LOT of searching, so you maybe able to narrow it down by using the programs name and google it.

Thanks!!

#14 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:51 AM

Reposting from 2 years or so ago...

Tips for Flight Interviews (thanks SKYSIX)

So you are going to be interviewing for a flight position…….the typical questions will be asked of both parties …..and you’re feeling pretty good……but will you get the information you really need?

Obviously you’ve researched the company, their operating area and their safety record. You’ve searched the NTSB / TSB databases and CAMTS / CONCERN / HARP for all complaints, investigations, incidents and accidents. You’ve even talked to a few people in the industry about the company .

You know how you get asked “give us a situation regarding X and how you responded?” Well turn the tables……One can spout all the policies they want…..but does the company really behave that way? How do you find out?

Ask them the same type of questions when it is your turn!

Here is a minimum of what you should know, or ask about, before you walk out of that interview:

1) When was the last time your company posted a CONCERN network notice, and what was it for?

2) Has your company subscribed to www.weatherturndown.com, and who in your company is responsible for notifying other bases and competing programs of a weather related flight request refusal?

3) What sort of ‘engineering controls’ does the company have to prevent workload from degrading situational awareness (for example do they have, and always use when appropriate, the following: TAWS / EGPWS, TCAS)?

4) When was the last time your company conducted a no notice "overdue aircraft" drill, and what were the lessons learned?

5) Give an example of what you believe is good CRM / AMRM initiated by a medical crew member.

6) Does your program provide and train all ACM in the use of NVG, and how has their implementation affected your mission acceptance rate/minimums?

7) A staff member who has been with your company for a while is refusing flights more often. Give me an example of the steps you would take to respond to the member‘s latest refusal?

8) A safety concern is brought up at a staff meeting. Describe how the issue is clarified, identified, addressed and what the follow up process is - both with the individual who raised the concern and with the issue in an ongoing sense.

9) An experienced pilot has recently begun filing IFR at night even in VFR conditions. He is the only pilot who does so routinely. Would this be a concern for your company and why? How/would you advise your Chief Pilot to change the training program and why?

10) Given your AO and typical worst case weather conditions, what does your program carry for survival equipment and how are your staff trained in its use?

11) Should an incident happen, how and when will my family be notified and protected from the media and does your PIAP have provisions for pets and children of single parents?

12) Does the company offer life insurance for its staff members and what are its benefits and exclusions?

If there are any acronyms, concepts or reasons underlying these questions that you do not currently understand, you should do more research and self directed learning to become an educated newbie before you embark upon your newly chosen career!
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#15 IcuCcrn

IcuCcrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

Reposting from 2 years or so ago...

Tips for Flight Interviews (thanks SKYSIX)

So you are going to be interviewing for a flight position…….the typical questions will be asked of both parties …..and you're feeling pretty good……but will you get the information you really need?

Obviously you've researched the company, their operating area and their safety record. You've searched the NTSB / TSB databases and CAMTS / CONCERN / HARP for all complaints, investigations, incidents and accidents. You've even talked to a few people in the industry about the company .

You know how you get asked "give us a situation regarding X and how you responded?" Well turn the tables……One can spout all the policies they want…..but does the company really behave that way? How do you find out?

Ask them the same type of questions when it is your turn!

Here is a minimum of what you should know, or ask about, before you walk out of that interview:

1) When was the last time your company posted a CONCERN network notice, and what was it for?

2) Has your company subscribed to www.weatherturndown.com, and who in your company is responsible for notifying other bases and competing programs of a weather related flight request refusal?

3) What sort of 'engineering controls' does the company have to prevent workload from degrading situational awareness (for example do they have, and always use when appropriate, the following: TAWS / EGPWS, TCAS)?

4) When was the last time your company conducted a no notice "overdue aircraft" drill, and what were the lessons learned?

5) Give an example of what you believe is good CRM / AMRM initiated by a medical crew member.

6) Does your program provide and train all ACM in the use of NVG, and how has their implementation affected your mission acceptance rate/minimums?

7) A staff member who has been with your company for a while is refusing flights more often. Give me an example of the steps you would take to respond to the member's latest refusal?

8) A safety concern is brought up at a staff meeting. Describe how the issue is clarified, identified, addressed and what the follow up process is - both with the individual who raised the concern and with the issue in an ongoing sense.

9) An experienced pilot has recently begun filing IFR at night even in VFR conditions. He is the only pilot who does so routinely. Would this be a concern for your company and why? How/would you advise your Chief Pilot to change the training program and why?

10) Given your AO and typical worst case weather conditions, what does your program carry for survival equipment and how are your staff trained in its use?

11) Should an incident happen, how and when will my family be notified and protected from the media and does your PIAP have provisions for pets and children of single parents?

12) Does the company offer life insurance for its staff members and what are its benefits and exclusions?

If there are any acronyms, concepts or reasons underlying these questions that you do not currently understand, you should do more research and self directed learning to become an educated newbie before you embark upon your newly chosen career!

What is PIAP?? (I have found the meanings for all the other acronyms)

#16 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

Post Accident Incident Plan (PAIP)

#17 IcuCcrn

IcuCcrn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

Post Accident Incident Plan (PAIP)

Danke vielmals!!

#18 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Bitteschön....und.... GOOD LUCK!

#19 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

7) A staff member who has been with your company for a while is refusing flights more often. Give me an example of the steps you would take to respond to the member‘s latest refusal?

Received some PM's re these two - basically what was the concept behind them. Spoke with Skysix to clarify, her points were:

7) Is the refusal due to a new ACM learning what they didn't know earlier and now recognising risks for which he hasn't yet learned the appropriate threshold or mitigation strategies? Are the risks the result of changes in the culture or operations? Has the ACM been involved in a recent incident and is now hypervigilant? Has the ACM's family situation changed so their risk/benefit evaluations are now different (new wife/kids etc). In all cases the company should show they are trying to find the root cause for the ACM's change in acceptance rates and assessing their operational trends to find any latent complacency or "creep'. Responses should indicate this and not a reflexive 'counseling and flag for future action' mentality that will penalise or intimidate the ACM into 'getting on board' without a real appraisal of underlying considerations.

9) This shouldn't be a concern, and in fact should be emulated. CP should encourage behavior and make systems friendly to allow Jr. pilots to do the same. Additional IFR training would be a nice touch - current does not equal proficient. This pilot seems to be trying to ensure both despite operating in a mainly VFR environment. Be careful of programs that do not like the time delay or have a culture that puts down this sort of flight planning. Even in scene work the presence of an "escape plan" in case of IIMC can be the difference between a safe landing and a crash. IIMC for non IFR proficient pilots is often a very quick death sentence. Many hospitals pads have airports nearby that they could meet an ambulance at, and many scenes have areas that could be accessed via an IFR launch and transit, with a breakthrough to a local airport and IFR cancellation once through (the marine layer) = not sure if I got that right :)
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#20 jwCCRN

jwCCRN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:44 AM

Sean,

Respectfully,
JW

I am so confused about how a ventilator delivers a breath. Is it as simple as I think? Am I over thinking it? When I speak to multiple RT's I am told it delivers a breath or air actively based on the mode. For instance, to a set pressure or set volume. The link posted to find the answer didn't work and I have exhausted resources, including trauma docs!