• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wyomed

wyomed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'm wondering if anyone is using something other than the Pedi-Mate for pediatric transports that don't require spinal immobilization? If so, what are you using?

Thanks to all...
Steve Smith RN, CFRN, NREMT-P
"You have got to be kidding me!"

#2 Danger52

Danger52

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

We are running into a issue with this as well. It seems that the widely used Pedimate is not an FAA approved securment device. I called Ferno today and confirmed this with customer service. Any ideas for other products out there?

#3 Canis doo

Canis doo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

Is the only approved device. Not sure if its rated for Just fixed wing, commercial or Rotor. I have griped about this for years on the ground and in the air. The really only FAA approved system is to refuse a kid that is not PAPOOSSED with the pediatric short board that secures the device to the backboard.

I remember the days when it was acceptable to sit the kiddo in mom's lap. EMS is so retroactive and only changes things when X cost more than Y. I love the Pedimate but its is only approved on a FERNO cot system in the event of an accident. Most reps will admit to that.

Hope that helps. If you find anything else out let me know

FAA SEC 121.311 pertains to the CRS system mandated for kids under 40kg

http://www.preventin...archInfo_9.pdf. I got this file from I think EMSresponder it is a little dated but applies to the ambulance, also keep in mind that all restraint systems are height and weight affected.
Jason Howard LP, FP-C
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ― Winston S. Churchill

#4 Ice

Ice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:47 PM

I'm looking to see if anyone is using anything other than the Pedi-Mate out there.  This thread is about 5 years old so I thought I would see if people are using anything new.  If you are, does it meet FAA/DOT approval under section 123.311?  While the Pedi-mate works, there is a subset of patients we would like to secure that fall under 10 lbs but we may not have a isolette at the time.  Especially if our ground trucks are running 911.  Using the "patient's" car seat is potentially an option but lack of familiarity with so many seats leads to less than secure options and creates even more questions when it gets put in an aircraft.  Its better to have one device that everyone is trained on for securing patients in my mind and we should not rely on our patient's and families to supply us with equipment.

#5 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

I'm looking to see if anyone is using anything other than the Pedi-Mate out there.  This thread is about 5 years old so I thought I would see if people are using anything new.  If you are, does it meet FAA/DOT approval under section 123.311?  While the Pedi-mate works, there is a subset of patients we would like to secure that fall under 10 lbs but we may not have a isolette at the time.  Especially if our ground trucks are running 911.  Using the "patient's" car seat is potentially an option but lack of familiarity with so many seats leads to less than secure options and creates even more questions when it gets put in an aircraft.  Its better to have one device that everyone is trained on for securing patients in my mind and we should not rely on our patient's and families to supply us with equipment.

Ice,  take a look at this.  

I have never personally seen it, OR know any service (ground or air) that is using it, but I recall a flightweb member several years ago talking about it.

http://www.babypod.com/

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#6 Ice

Ice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Mike,

We looked at these but due to size and wanting to carry it on all aircraft and ambulances all the time we ruled it out.  There is a pretty cool new device called the ACR4 that looks like it has great potential.  It straps to a cot and has 4 small soft modules that you can use depending on the size of the patient that covers a range of 4-99lbs.  It's not cheap but stores easily and really meets our needs pretty well.  I just like to see if there is anything else I'm missing before I pursue any new equipment purchases too hard, especially with a larger fleet.

Thanks for the feedback

#7 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

ICE I am not seeing that it is rated for air medical transport on their website. Do you have any further information on this?

Thanks,

Matt

#8 Ice

Ice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

The only harness device approved by the FAA is CARES http://kidsflysafe.com from what I have seen. It only goes down to 22 LBS. We are all using what we feel works best since there isn't anything FAA approved. Ferno is coming out with a Neo-mate that goes down to 3 lbs. As well as a larger one that goes above the 40 lbs. It appears ACR4 and Ferno have the most functional systems. If you feel you need it FAA certified you won't be transporting any kids under 22 lbs from what I've found. That is not reasonable so we will have to use what is available on the market that is not certified. Even car seats that are certified are certified for seats not cots so it is a mute point. I talked to one of the largest pediatric transport teams in the country and they use the pedimate and may consider the neomate when it is available.

#9 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Thats kind of been my thinking too. Thanks for sharing!

#10 flytmedic68

flytmedic68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

We have been utilizing the Quantum ACR-4 for a few years now with great success. We fly in a 145 with a Stryker MX-Pro stretcher. It's very versatile and allows you to put the pediatric patient in basically any position you want them in. It is also quick and easy to attach to the stretcher and is flight certified. The company has the certificate.

We also just took delivery of the baby pod. Another nice device that's lightweight (25 pounds) and easy to secure to the stretcher with the existing seatbelts. It is a 5-point restraint that we plan on using for infants where temperature regulation is a big concern but they don't need an isolette. Prior to the Baby Pod we were utilizing the Port-A-Warm mattresses to keep them warm. IMO the baby Pod does a much better job.

#11 Ice

Ice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the input.  I'm not sure what kind of certificate they have as the last time I checked, the CARES was still the only FAA certified device.  We actually are having representatives from Ferno with their new NeoMate and from ACR-4 demo their products at our next materials management meeting in three weeks so we will have a much better grasp on the two products after that.  We will very specifically be asking for any certification paperwork they may have if they do.