#1 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

OK

** Please Submit all cases with Pics directly to me @ mmackinnon123@gmail.com **
e
I will pick th best and post them in succession

CASE STUDIES WILL BE PRESENTED ON THE 1st OF THE MONTH

So in order to maintain some standardization I have come up with a basic way to present a case (similar to how its done in chart reviews).

1) The Story.

ie: 35 y/o male driving a mid size truck struck a moose on the highway at a ROS = 75 mph. Pt was not seatbelted and there was no airbag deployment. There was signifigant damage to the front of the truck and the firewall was pushed back onto the front seat. The steering wheel was bent and the patient was found ejected out onto the hood of the truck partially covered by the moose (and moose droppings, yuk). Local EMS (BLS only) moved patient to the roadside and noted he was not breathing. The began to bag him and called air medical. We arrived on scene at this point.

2) History

Unknown Hx. Pt has no medical alert bracelets and is unconcious

3) Meds

Pt Unconcious

4) Allg.

Pt Unconcious

Obviously some of these you might have and others will will not (such as the unconcious pt with no Hx).

5) Obvious Pertinent Physcial findings / EMS Report

The report from EMS was that the accident had to have happened over 30 minutes ago. The patient has not regained conciousness in this time. There appears to be blood comming from his nose and ears. they have not had time to do a good assessment as it took both of them to bag the patient (BLS Only).

I would also add anything obvious such as "femur sticking up through thigh." Other than that allow people to go through the motions of asking questions in their assessment.

6) Images

Any avaliable images, EKG's, Xrays etc

7) Discussion Points

The discussion points refer to things such as:

Appropriateness for air transport
Where should the patient be transported?
Differential Diagnosis
Treatment plan

Etc

From this point it would be the responsibility of the flight web members to ask questions. As the Case Presenter your job will be to answer these questions with findings.

It will be the responsibility of the Case Presenter to decide when more information should be given to keep the case going (if ppl are not asking the questions you expected) or give hints.

Please do you best to give follow up on the case. I know we often lose touch with our patients once they hit the recieving facility, but its nice to hear how it went.
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain

#2 Mike MacKinnon

Mike MacKinnon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hello Everyone.

I approached Rollie about creating a forum in which we could post interesting cases we have had. It seems this is a great chance for all of us to learn for each other.

So essentially, if you have a case that you believe would be of interest please feel free email it to me @ mmackinnon123@gmail.com. Please view the other Sticky in this forum entitled "How to present your case" so we can all follow a basic format.

** Please Submit all cases with Pics directly to me @ mmackinnon123@gmail.com **

I will pick the best and post them in succession

CASE STUDIES WILL BE PRESENTED ON (or around) THE 30th OF THE MONTH

Let the posting begin!
Mike MacKinnon MSN CRNA
WWW.NURSE-ANESTHESIA.ORG

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know
It's what we know for sure that just ain't so" - Mark Twain