14 replies to this topic

#1 amlaber

amlaber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

Hey Everyone!
Just curious if any transport team out there has a standard of practice when it comes to cooling a neonate after birth asphyxiation. We currently do not and I am doing research on the subject to see what we can get started.

If anyone responding to this does have a practice could you tell me what it is that you are doing AND if it has been effective.

Thanks!!!

Ann

#2 Macgyver

Macgyver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:02 AM

Hey Everyone!
Just curious if any transport team out there has a standard of practice when it comes to cooling a neonate after birth asphyxiation. We currently do not and I am doing research on the subject to see what we can get started.

If anyone responding to this does have a practice could you tell me what it is that you are doing AND if it has been effective.

Thanks!!!

Ann

Check with UC Davis
Ken BHSc, RN, REMT-P

#3 neo606

neo606

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:12 PM

Just published - article in the May 2010 Journal of Perinatology on "Therapeutic hypothermia on neonatal transport: 4-year experience in a single NICU"
University of Virginia, Charlottesville

#4 HeloRT

HeloRT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

Our Medical Director has been doing a lot of research on HIE and cooling. He's going to send me an electronic copy of the protocal, so if you give me an e-mail, I can forward it when I get it.
High Points:
35 week gestation or greater.
Weight greater than 2kg.
Not greater than 6 hour post event.
Keep Rectal Temperature 35.5C
Record temps Q15 min. (we use a wire probe).
There are some other symptoms/lab values that have to happen to get in our study, but it's a long list.
We haven't gotten our transport cooling device yet, so we are just transporting with no heat and having ref hospital not warm the pt.

#5 HeloRT

HeloRT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Correction, The target temp is 33.5C. Must have a fat finger.

#6 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

no worries.... you meant what we thought we knew? PM/e-mailed ya for those protocols... please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can send you... ~ Sean

Correction, The target temp is 33.5C. Must have a fat finger.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#7 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

no worries.... you meant what we thought we knew? PM/e-mailed ya for those protocols... please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything I can send you... ~ Sean

Weren't there some articles published within 5 years ago using hypothermia on pediatrics during trauma or TBIs? And I think the results were negative and of no benefit. I am pulling this way from left field. I think it was a JEMS article? Can anyone confirm this?

Matt

#8 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:54 PM

sidebar-off topic - Matt, did you get the stuff I told you I was sending? e-mailed it right after we got off the phone. ~ Sean

Weren't there some articles published within 5 years ago using hypothermia on pediatrics during trauma or TBIs? And I think the results were negative and of no benefit. I am pulling this way from left field. I think it was a JEMS article? Can anyone confirm this?

Matt

#9 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:59 PM

Matt

I believe I would trust the Brain Trauma Foundation Guidelines on Pediatric Trauma (including hypothermia for TBI) before reading a JEMS article and concluding ineffectiveness of the treatment from that article.

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#10 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

sidebar-off topic - Matt, did you get the stuff I told you I was sending? e-mailed it right after we got off the phone. ~ Sean

Sure did check email... Thanks!

matt

#11 onearmwonder

onearmwonder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:24 PM

I believe I would trust the Brain Trauma Foundation Guidelines on Pediatric Trauma (including hypothermia for TBI) before reading a JEMS article and concluding ineffectiveness of the treatment from that article.

Brian

Totally agree! Just thought there was something out there about it. Studies are studies and so many variables can create the outcomes. Manipulation is easy and not the right testing can produce unfavorable results based off my very little experience at reading studies. Thanks for the resource Brian!

Matt

#12 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

link for the slow guy? i must be looking in all the wrong places on braintrauma.org...

Totally agree! Just thought there was something out there about it. Studies are studies and so many variables can create the outcomes. Manipulation is easy and not the right testing can produce unfavorable results based off my very little experience at reading studies. Thanks for the resource Brian!

Matt

#13 BrianACNP

BrianACNP

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:05 PM

link for the slow guy? i must be looking in all the wrong places on braintrauma.org...

There's no link for neonate asphyxiation and therapeutic hypothermia on the Brain Trauma Foundation website. I was commenting on an earlier post referencing therapeutic hypothermia for TBI and the pediatric population.

Brian
Brian, MSN, ACNP, CCRN

#14 amlaber

amlaber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:15 PM

Our Medical Director has been doing a lot of research on HIE and cooling. He's going to send me an electronic copy of the protocal, so if you give me an e-mail, I can forward it when I get it.
High Points:
35 week gestation or greater.
Weight greater than 2kg.
Not greater than 6 hour post event.
Keep Rectal Temperature 35.5C
Record temps Q15 min. (we use a wire probe).
There are some other symptoms/lab values that have to happen to get in our study, but it's a long list.
We haven't gotten our transport cooling device yet, so we are just transporting with no heat and having ref hospital not warm the pt.

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH... email address is ann.laber@cchmc.org Please pass on whatever you have!!!

#15 Tommy Warr

Tommy Warr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

Good afternoon!

Are there any transport programs Ground, RW, & FW that are currently using any of the following Mobile Therapeutic Cooling systems for (HIE) Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy of the newborn? We are very interested in the "Maxtec-Tecotherm Neo" or the "Criticool Neo-Ped". I would really appreciate any input programs may share related to equipment performance, clinical outcomes of pt. temperatures with extreme weather, or any other pro's or con's related to your experience with these mobile therapeutic cooling devices. We are not dead set on only using these 2 devices, If your program is using a cooling system that is FAA approved for transport that you like, other than the typical esophageal temperature probes and cool packs I would love to hear from you. Thanks so much and be safe out there!!  I can't wait to hear from you guys.     

Tommy Warr

tommy.warr@childrens.com

Tommy Warr

RRT-NPS, NREMT-P

Neonatal/Pediatric, High Risk Maternal/Fetal Transport's

Children'sHealth/Medical Center of Dallas: Transport Team