• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sam1

sam1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

Currently we are reviewing our protocols for cardiogenic shock. We are going through the various pharmacological agents for use in flight. I am curious as to what other programs are using. I am most interested in the Left sided MI/ Failure patients. We are having some debates about dopamine, dobutamine, levophed, etc and tachy/ hypotensive patients.

#2 Gila

Gila

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:24 PM

I'm not sure the current base of evidence can prove the superiority of one agent over another.
Christopher Bare
"Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo "

#3 Mike Mims

Mike Mims

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:08 AM

I agree with Gila...

For us the protocols are:
No pulmonary edema - fluids, 250-500ml bolus'
With pulmonary edema - Dopamine or Dobutamine, with Epi, Norepi and Neosynephrine considered.

However, with TRUE cardiogenic shock we'll consult OLMC for recommendations becasue there is so many other treatment plans that maybe included.

Mike Mims

Aircare

University of Mississippi Medical Center

#4 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

need more specific questions with regards to the debates. but generally speaking, optimize output while minimizing MVO2. how you accomplish that is debatable. B)

Currently we are reviewing our protocols for cardiogenic shock. We are going through the various pharmacological agents for use in flight. I am curious as to what other programs are using. I am most interested in the Left sided MI/ Failure patients. We are having some debates about dopamine, dobutamine, levophed, etc and tachy/ hypotensive patients.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup

#5 sam1

sam1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:51 PM

need more specific questions with regards to the debates. but generally speaking, optimize output while minimizing MVO2. how you accomplish that is debatable. B)

The specifics are the use of dopamine (which is more of a Chronotrope) versus the use of Dobutamine (which is more of an inotrope). With a patient that is already tachy (hense MVO2 is high), I am very concerned about the use of dopamine as it is written in our protocols. We can always take dobutamine from the sending hospital when possible, but we don't have it in our drug bags on a routine basis.

#6 SerendepitySaki

SerendepitySaki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

classic debate. how perhaps you could post the relevant portions of your protocols w/ their supporting refs (if available) ?

The specifics are the use of dopamine (which is more of a Chronotrope) versus the use of Dobutamine (which is more of an inotrope). With a patient that is already tachy (hense MVO2 is high), I am very concerned about the use of dopamine as it is written in our protocols. We can always take dobutamine from the sending hospital when possible, but we don't have it in our drug bags on a routine basis.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN !!!!!!
Sean G. Smith, RN-Alphabet Soup